The heart of sin is not simply breaking the rules. Sin is when we say, “God, I know what you want and I don’t care. I want what I want.” Tweet this quote.
Fr. Mike makes it abundantly clear that sin is defiance toward God—usually in favor of self-interest.
So often, when Catholics talk about sin people see our sense of morality as a set of rules that we arbitrarily follow.
Those who criticize the Church’s moral teachings often accuse Catholics of misinterpreting Christ’s words when they are the ones who are twisting his words, while failing to recognize how our relationship with God is in the balance.
For more on the nature of sin, see Fr. Mike’s video, What Is Sin?
The Latest from Ascension
- Catholics, Conscience, and Catechesis
- Close Encounters of the Divine Kind
- The Eastern Catholic Churches: Part 3, the Alexandrian Rite
- Walker Percy, MD, and the Diagnosis of a Secular Age
- The Eternal Consequences of Good (and Bad) Vision