What was the birth of Jesus like for Mary? Some people argue that Mary experienced labor and delivery like any other woman. Others argue that she felt no pain. But what does the Church say? Fr. Josh answers that question in today’s episode.
Snippet from the Show
“Our Mother Mary is full of beauty because she is full of grace.” -Pope Francis
Glory Story (2:04)
Listener Question (4:50)
I was watching the Chosen and in the series it depicts the Blessed Virgin experiencing birth pains during the birth of Jesus. I didn’t see a problem with this but went on social media, many complained about this depiction and even called it heretical. So, did Mary have birth pains or not?
Saint Story: Blessed Herman (11:14)
Hermann was born in February 1013. He was born crippled and could not be mobile without assistance. Despite his physical limitations, Hermann was very gifted intellectually. At a young age, he was sent to live with an abbot by the name of Berno. Here his intellectual gifts were honed and he eventually took vows of monasticism.
Hermann exemplified gifts in many areas: languages, theology, astronomy, music and more. He was largely sought after for his teaching and mentorship.
- Submit your questions and feedback to Fr. Josh by filling out a form at www.ascensionpress.com/askfatherjosh
- Broken and Blessed by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Adoration by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Reconciliation by Fr. Josh Johnson & Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Fr. Josh Johnson
While Fr. Josh was raised Catholic, he didn’t like the Church growing up. Then, one day in adoration, he fell in love with Jesus and received the call to become a priest.
Now, Fr. Josh is the Vocations Director of the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. He is a presenter in four of Ascension’s programs: Altaration, YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body, The 99, and Connected: Catholic Social Teaching for This Generation, as well as the author of Broken and Blessed: An Invitation to My Generation, Pocket Guide to Adoration, and co-author of Pocket Guide to Reconciliation.