This topic comes to us from a conversation in the Girlfriends Podcast Facebook Group.
How can we support our husbands to be the spiritual leader in our homes and communities, the way that God intends? I offer six different ways every wife can do that:
- Think about what you want. Consider what you want from your husband and then ask yourself, “Is it fair and reasonable to ask this of him?”
- Recognize what he is already doing.There are many different ways of being a “spiritual leader.” Recognize and appreciate the things he is already doing right.
- Don’t boss him. This is ugly. Don’t boss or try to bully him into being the person you wish he would be. Give him room to be a husband and father, by focusing on the ways in which you are called to be a wife and mother.
- Figure out what is getting in the way. Is he tired? Are the kids misbehaving? Does he have no time? Find out what the obstacles are so that you can help with them.
- Find out what his goals are. Ask him about his spiritual goals for himself and for your family. Think of ways to help him meet those goals and offer your support.
- Do your own stuff. You have spiritual goals and you are called to be a spiritual leader as a wife and mom. Focus on what you can do, and then just do it!
Snippet from the Show
Sometimes we women want to make spiritual leadership what WE want it to be. That’s actually dumb because what our husbands bring to the table is a completely different perspective, different skill set, different temperament, different preferences, different strengths, different focuses. That’s a beautiful gift to you and your family.
Check out Ascension’s new podcast Abiding Together, a place of connection, rest and encouragement for women who are on the journey of living out their passion and purpose in Jesus Christ!
If you haven’t seen it yet, this podcast episode from Fr. Mike Schmitz on the Pennsylvania Sex Abuse Scandal is a really good resource.
I am excited about the upcoming release of my new book from Ascension, You Are Enough: What women of the Bible Teach You About Your Mission and Worth. Look for details about how you can pre-order and qualify for free bonuses – coming soon!
Finally, check out the Catholic Momcast featuring Lisa Hendey and me, available on iTunes!
Some Places I Will Be
October 6, 2018: Rhode Island Catholic Women’s Conference, Cathedral of SS. Peter & Paul and Cathedral Hall
Find out more about bringing this unique event for women to your parish, group, or community. Read more and request more information here.
Or find out more about having me come speak at your parish or conference.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.