Today’s episode we dive into the life of St. Hildegard of Bingen, part 2 of our series on the women doctors of the Church. We talk about how amazing this woman was, her many talents and how she used the power of her voice and influence to help restore the Church. We also discuss places that we have lost our voice, the trap of self doubt, and letting God be strong in our weakness.
One Thing We Love This Week:
- Sr. Miriam’s One Thing – The Anonymous 4 album “The Origin of Fire”
- Michelle’s One Thing – The Ministry of Ordinary Places – Shannan Martin
- Heather’s One Thing – The song “New Wine” by Hillsong
1. Have you ever believed the lie that its too late for certain dreams or callings to come to fruition in your life?
2. In what ways do you diminish who you are and fall into self doubt?
3. How can you open the door wider to the Holy Spirit to use your gifts, not just as your own talents, but to help build his Kingdom of love?
4. How can we cultivate friendships that we feel free to be vulnerable without judgement?
1. How has self doubt crippled you in your story?
2. What is Christ calling me to for a time such as this?
3. How can you begin to accept your weakness as an opportunity to draw close to God and receive His strength?
4. Where in my life do I answer to others opinions instead of my identity in God?
Quote to Ponder:
“We cannot live in a world that is not our own, in a world that is interpreted for us by others. An interpreted world is not a home. Part of the terror is to take back our own listening, to use our own voice, to see our own light.” – St. Hildegard of Bingen
Scripture for the week – Proverbs 15:2,4-5,7
The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, but the mouths of fools spout folly. A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but perversion in it crushes the spirit. A fool rejects his father’s discipline, but he who regards reproof is sensible. The lips of the wise spread knowledge, but the hearts of fools are not so.
Here’s a worship playlist we created to go along with the Doctors Series. We pray it blesses you.
To order the prayer/study journal accompaniment for the Doctor series head over to Meaningful Market Shop.
St. Hildegard of Bingen-Doctor of the Church
Meet Your Hosts
Abiding Together is a weekly podcast hosted by Michelle Benzinger, Sr. Miriam James Heidland, and Heather Khym.
If you would like to contact the ladies of Abiding Together, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.