Fr. Josh answers questions regarding a person’s responsibility to care for their parents, whether or not Christians should read Harry Potter, and what are the correct modes for receiving Holy Communion.
Snippet from the Show
“The Word of God must order our steps in our walk to eternity.”
The Importance of Prison Ministry
- “Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them; and those who are ill-treated, since you also are in the body” (Hebrews 13:3)
- “I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me” (Matthew 25:35)
- “And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ ” (Matthew 25:40)
Interested in getting involved in prison ministry? Make sure you don’t go into prison ministry alone. Partner with an existing ministry or organization that can guide and prepare you. Check out Kolbe Prison Ministries!
Finding a Priority in the Spiritual Life
The enemy can easily distract us in our spiritual lives by overwhelming us with a long list of action items. The best way to avoid this temptation is to focus on one goal at a time. What is one thing in your spiritual life that you can grow in?
Glory Story (2:30)
How Do You Care for Parents Without Neglecting Yourself? (7:19)
Hi Father Josh,
Thanks so much for your show and for your accessibility. I’m always edified by your podcast.
My parents and my one remaining grandparent are aging and needing more and more care. Although I have siblings, I am the one expected to -and honestly, probably the only one willing to- take care of them as they age.
I feel burdened by this expectation and have some resentment already, and we seem to have many years more to go. Please help me understand the balance between the duty to one’s parents and one’s own life. I was to serve cheerfully, but I’m not there.
Should Christians Read Harry Potter? (15:04)
What is the Catholic view on the Harry Potter series?
What Is the Correct Mode for Receiving Holy Communion? (24:09)
Hey Father Josh! I have a question about the Eucharist. Growing up, I was taught to receive on the hand during communion. However, when I went to college, everyone told me I ought to receive on the tongue, because it’s more devout. Is there a proper way to receive the Eucharist? Love your show and praying for you always!
- Submit your questions and feedback to Fr. Josh by filling out a form at www.ascensionpress.com/askfatherjosh
- Broken and Blessed by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Adoration by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Reconciliation by Fr. Josh Johnson & Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Fr. Josh Johnson
While Fr. Josh was raised Catholic, he didn’t like the Church growing up. Then, one day in adoration, he fell in love with Jesus and received the call to become a priest.
Now, Fr. Josh is the Vocations Director of the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. He is a presenter in four of Ascension’s programs: Altaration, YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body, The 99, and Connected: Catholic Social Teaching for This Generation, as well as the author of Broken and Blessed: An Invitation to My Generation, Pocket Guide to Adoration, and co-author of Pocket Guide to Reconciliation.