Fr. Josh answers questions about the official process of becoming Catholic, how to restore confidence in one’s own worth, and how to navigate encounters and conversations with loved ones over thanksgiving.
Snippet from the Show
“Be rooted in daily prayer with the Lord and he will give you his mind, his words, his eyes, and his ears, to direct the conversations with those you hold dearest to your heart.”
The Process of Becoming Catholic
Dear Fr Josh,
Greetings from Africa.
I was raised Anglican but went to a Catholic school were I fell in love with Catholicism and started really felt like I was called to be a Catholic. I have been attending Masses in Catholic Church for about 20 years now, i know pretty much everything about Catholicism, I pray the Rosary and I receive the Eucharist. I have been to confession in the Anglican church many years ago before I started going to the Catholic church but i have never been to confession in the Catholic church even though I really want to.
Now my questions are;
1. Do I have to be baptized first to become a true Catholic so i can start going to confession?
2. Am I wrong to receive the Eucharist as I was not baptized in a Catholic church?
Renouncing Lies and Self-Worth
I have spent most of my life feeling not good enough and hating myself. I was bullied as a child, I became very overweight as a young adult, and I have fallen into sexual sin. I have taken my sins to confession and turned my life around, but at my core, I still feel like a worthless and disgusting person and I don’t know how to accept God’s love. How can I believe in and accept His love for me?
Hey Fr. Josh,
With Thanksgiving coming up, how do I prepare for family conversations? Do you have any recommendations for sharing the faith with family members who do not practice, or how to encounter them and love them when talking about difficult topics?
- Submit your questions and feedback to Fr. Josh by filling out a form at www.ascensionpress.com/askfatherjosh
- Broken and Blessed by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Adoration by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Reconciliation by Fr. Josh Johnson & Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Fr. Josh Johnson
While Fr. Josh was raised Catholic, he didn’t like the Church growing up. Then, one day in adoration, he fell in love with Jesus and received the call to become a priest.
Now, Fr. Josh is the Vocations Director of the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. He is a presenter in four of Ascension’s programs: Altaration, YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body, The 99, and Connected: Catholic Social Teaching for This Generation, as well as the author of Broken and Blessed: An Invitation to My Generation, Pocket Guide to Adoration, and co-author of Pocket Guide to Reconciliation.