Why aren’t things going your way? Perhaps, you have been facing a lot of challenges or disappointments lately and you can’t help but wonder why. Today, Dr. Edward Sri and his wife Beth Sri talk about the struggles of life and how to discern their origin. Is the devil attacking us? Or do we need to work on something within ourselves?
Snippet from the Show
When we over-spiritualize the problems we are facing, it can keep us from an opportunity to work on ourselves and to grow as individuals.
The Three Common Enemies
The three most common enemies are the flesh, the world, and the devil. For some of us, we can very quickly decide that any challenge we face is the result of an attack from the devil. Now, of course, this can be true sometimes. However, it is important that we don’t overlook the possibility that there is another reason for the challenge we are facing. It could be that there is something within ourselves that needs to be changed or worked on. Or perhaps, we are being influenced by the world around us.
For example, maybe you are struggling in your marriage. Before blaming everything on the devil, take a moment to consider yourself. Is it possible that marriage is difficult because of your own faults such as stubbornness or anger? Or maybe it is as simple as needing date night. The devil does sometimes attack us, but we cannot overlook the other possibilities for our challenges.
What to Do When Faced with a Challenge
The first question you should ask yourself is “How is God using this?” It may not be immediately apparent how God is working through something, but it is important that we trust him and allow him to work through us. There are always going to be crosses but there will always be an opportunity to grow through those crosses.
We need to rest in the Lord. He is more powerful than the devil. It is essential that we remember this. Jesus wins.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Aug 19-20: Fullness of Truth Family Conference – San Antonio TX
- Aug 25-26 – Catholic Men’s conference – Beaumont TX
- Sept 29- St. Gabriel Catholic Church Marriage Forum – Colorado Springs CO
- Sept 30 – Archdiocese of Philadelphia Eucharistic Congress – Doylestown, PA
- Oct 13-15 – Leaders Conference – Malta
- Nov 12-20 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Dec 6-7 – Immaculate Conception Parish – Columbus OH
- Dec 8-10 – Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.