Why does Jesus ride a donkey into Jerusalem? Is it significant? Dr. Sri offers the answers to this question in today’s episode. Dr. Sri also offers encouragement in being faithful to Christ both when life is good and when life is hard.
Snippet from the Show
Even when it is not apparent what you might get out of it, be faithful to what the Lord is asking you to do. Especially, be faithful to him in your suffering.
Riding a Donkey vs. Walking
You can quickly realize that there is something significant about Jesus riding a donkey when you think about his usual mode of transportation. Jesus walked everywhere. He occasionally traveled in a boat to cross bodies of water. But more often than not, Jesus walked. Then all of sudden, Jesus asks for a donkey and then rides it into the city of Jerusalem. Why? Jesus was fulfilling a prophecy.
Exult greatly, O daughter Zion! Shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem! Behold: your king is coming to you, a just savior is he, Humble, and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
Be Faithful to Him
Throughout his ministry, Christ had many followers. Of course, he had his close followers in the apostles. However, he also attracted very large crowds of people. They enjoyed listening to him preach. They were in awe of his miracles. However, were these people only following him as long as they could get something out of him? It seems like this could be the case. On Good Friday, where were they? This is a good reminder for all of us that we are faithful to Jesus out of love, not because we can get something out of him.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Apr 13: Legatus – Denver, CO
- Apr 15: Couples Retreat – Wichita, KS
- Apr 19-20: St. Paul Center Priest Conference – Lakeway, TX
- Jun 9-10: Diocese of Marquette Eucharistic Congress – Marquette MI
- Jun 23-July 1: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 26-27: Applied Biblical Studies Conference – Steubenville OH
- July 26-28: Defending the Faith conference – Steubenville OH
- Aug 19-20: Fullness of Truth Family Conference – San Antonio TX
- Aug 25-26 – Catholic Men’s conference – Beaumont TX
- Oct 13-15 – Leaders Conference – Malta
- Nov 12-20 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Dec 8-10 – Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.