St.Thérèse of Lisieux spent ten years trying to overcome her deep seated weakness- her sensitivity and inability to control her emotions. Today, Dr. Sri reveals what we can learn from this beautiful saint’s example as we struggle with our own inability to change and overcome our own faults.
Snippet from the Show
“The work I had been unable to do in ten years was done by Jesus in one instant.”- St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Why do we struggle to change?
- We may not actually we don’t want to change. There’s a part of us that likes our sin and is comfortable with it. Jesus doesn’t just want to change us, he wants us to want to be changed. If we are too attached to our weakness, there is no spiritual progress.
- God’s timing is different than our own timing. There may be other parts of our soul that God wants to work on first before helping us overcome a specific weakness we have been praying goes away. Maybe God wants us to grow in selflessness, humility, or compassion.
Wisdom from St. Thérèse
St.Thérèse of Lisieux had a deep seated weakness that would not go away- her sensitivity and inability to control her emotions. She spent ten years trying to overcome this fault and saw little improvement during those years. However, St.Thérèse never gave up, she persevered and threw herself the merciful arms ofJesus. In one instant, Jesus healed her and gave her the courage to leave behind this weakness. St.Thérèse teaches us to never stop praying, and to surrender to God’s perfect timing and ways.
“Forcing back my tears, I descended the stairs rapidly; controlling the pounding of my heart, I took my slippers and place them in front of Papa, and withdrew all the objects fully. I had the happy appearance of a Queen. Having regained his own cheerfulness, Papa was laughing; Celine believed it was all a dream! Fortunately, it was a sweet reality; Therese had discovered once again the strength of soul which she had lost at the age of four and a half, and she was to preserve it forever!”– St.Thérèse of Lisieux
“Therese’s experience that night is just one example of the kind of simple yet profound miracles Jesus works in ordinary souls. For her, it was overcoming her sensitive emotions. For others, it might be learning to control their tongues, guard their eyes, or manage their tempers.” – Dr. Edward Sri, Into His Likeness
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Meet Your Host: Dr. Edward Sri
Dr. Sri is a theologian and the author of several best-selling books. He holds a doctorate from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome. A founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), Dr. Sri currently serves as its vice president of formation. He appears regularly on EWTN and resides in Colorado with his wife, Elizabeth, and their eight children.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.