Why is this happening? Where are you God? These are the sorts of questions people sometimes ask when they experience great suffering or doubt. To show how God responds to us in these situations, Dr. Edward Sri dives into the story of one of the greatest figures of the Old Testament: Abraham.
Snippet from the Show
“Lord, if this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few.” – St. Teresa of Avila
The Call (Genesis 12:4-9)
In these verses, Abram is called by God to the land of Canaan. Abram follows God’s commands and leaves his homeland and his family for Canaan.
Famine (Genesis 12:10-20)
Due to famine, Abram and his wife go to Egypt. While in Egypt, Abram lies about his wife’s identity out of fear for his life. He knew that her beauty would attract the men of Egypt. In order to protect himself, he says that Sarai is his sister. Pharaoh took Sarai into his home but then his household was stricken by plagues. Realizing the deceit, Pharaoh returns Sarai to Abram and tells him to leave.
Lot and Abram (Genesis 13)
In this chapter, Lot and Abram part ways due to a lack of space for both their herds and herdsmen.
Rescuing Lot (Genesis 14)
In this chapter, we read that Lot is captured along with all of his possessions. Upon hearing of this, Abram musters men to go and free his kinsman and recover his possessions. They do so successfully.
Abram’s Doubt (Genesis 15)
In this chapter, we see Abram struggle with doubt. God had told him that he would have numerous descendants and yet he has no children. Upon hearing Abram’s doubts, God tells Abram that he will have descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky. Abram trusts God and surrenders to his will. He believes in God.
- Always recall that God is present. Regardless of what circumstances you find yourself in, thank God for all he has done and for his love.
- Ask God what he is trying to teach you at this moment.
- Surrender to God. Trust in him. Believe that God desires your greatest good always.
Interested in learning more about The Real Story: Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible by Dr. Edward Sri and Curtis Martin? Click here!
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.