A thorough understanding of the world Jesus lived in is vital to a thorough understanding of Jesus himself.
I’m talking to Marcellino D’Ambrosio, a.k.a. “Dr. Italy” founder of Crossroads Initiative and co-author of Jesus: The Way, The Truth, and The Life about the historical context of the Old Testament, the world in which Jesus began his ministry.
Snippet from the Show
“If we have an idea of the Old Testament world of the Jews, and of the Roman world, it helps us understand the revolutionary impact of Jesus.”
*Please continue to pray for Dave’s wife and family during this difficult battle with cancer.
Matthew 5:21-48 (the 6 Antitheses)
- Matthew 5:21-22 – “You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire.”
- Matthew 5:27-28 – “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
- Matthew 5:31-32 – “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that every one who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, makes her an adulteress; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”
- Matthew 5: 33-35 – “Again you have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.”
- Matthew 5:38-39 – “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also”
- Matthew 5:43-45 – “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven”
Matthew 7:28-29 – “And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.”
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “EKSB” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Gomer and Dave’s email list!
- Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life Book, Study, and Timeline by Marcellino D’Ambrosio
- The Bible Timeline by Jeff Cavins
- Dr. Italy Page on Crossroads Initiative
- Learn more about Dr. Italy’s Pilgrimages
- When the Church Was Young by Marcellino D’Ambrosio