What is so daring about saying “Our Father”? Dr. Sri explains historically why praying in this way to God was so daring. He also shares what this reveals about God and what this reveals about who we are.
Snippet from the Show
We are called children of God because we really are children of God.
You can find out more about Dr. Sri’s book A Biblical Walk Through the Mass HERE.
Calling God “Father” Historically
In the Old Testament, it is not uncommon for God to be referred to as “father.” In Jesus’ time it was still normal for Jews to refer to God as “father.” However, it was only normal/common when talking about God and his relationship to the entire people of Israel. It would have been abnormal for an individual to refer to God as “father.” It would have been daring.
What Does It Mean to Call God “Father”?
We do not call God “father” because he is like a father to us. God is the Father. He is fatherhood in its perfection. We call God “father” because that is literally what he is to us. Another important thing to remember when we call God “father” is that this means we are his son or daughter. By our baptisms, we are sons and daughters of God. At Baptism, the life of Christ enters us. Christ is truly the Son of God. By sharing in the life of Christ, we become children of the Father.
1 John 3:1
“See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”
Ways to Grow in Your Identity as a Son or Daughter of God
- Frequent the sacraments. Grow in grace by frequenting the sacraments. Definitely attend Mass and receive the Eucharist on Sundays and Holy Days. However, try to attend Mass on weekdays as well. Also, frequent the sacrament of reconciliation. It is very good to try and go to confession at least once a month.
- Maintain a habit of daily prayer. In order to grow in relationship with the Father, we must converse with him. We must talk to him daily in prayer.
- Reflect on the mystery of the Father. It is incredible that we get to call God “father.” This is something so astounding and so good that it is essential for us to ponder it.
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.