The call to evangelization and discipleship starts with the way you onboard and train the new hires at your parish, apostolate, or non-profit organization. Today, Dave “Digital Shabbat” VanVickle and I continue our discussion about hiring and training mission driven employees who will change the world. We provide you with more concrete advice so you can successfully onboard your new hires.
Snippet from the Show
Snippet of the Show
The call to evangelization and discipleship starts with the way you onboard and disciple the new hires at your parish, apostolate, or non-profit organization.
Snippet from the Show
Training New Hires
- Prepare a four week schedule for your new hire to lay out the expectations of their tasks and responsibilities. It’s important for them to start with a clear sense of structure as they onboard.
- Know and communicate the mission, vision, and culture of the ministry to your new hire. Your parish/organization/apostolate as a whole should have a cohesive culture.
- Spend three hours a week with your new hire (outside of socializing). You can pray a holy hour with them, do book study with them, and set up meetings to clearly communicate the vision and mission of your parish/organization/apostolate.
- Clarify inner office communications. Help your new hire understand the internal communication practices so they know how to get the information they need. This will also help them avoid future miscommunications and misunderstandings.
- Keep weekly ministry meetings focused on big picture topics.
- If your new hire belongs to the parish, outline how you expect them to interact with the parish when you they’re not working.
- Provide your new hire ongoing critical feedback so they understand what they’re doing well and how they can improve.
- Connect your new hire with a veteran who can model the ministry, impart the right vision, and disciple them into the mission. It’s important to have other staff members reinforce the mission and model the expectations.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “EKSB” to 33-777 to subscribe and be added to Gomer and Dave’s email list
- Visit Dave’s website www.thecatholictruthaboutangelsanddemons.com and www.artofevangelization.com
- Visit Mike’s website at www.layevangelist.com
- A Biblical Walk Through The Mass
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Your Hosts
Michael “Gomer” Gormley
Michael has been leading evangelization and ministry efforts for the past ten years, both as a full-time parish staff member and as a speaker and consultant for parishes, dioceses, and Catholic campus ministries.
Michael is also the founder and creative director of LayEvangelist.com, and the producer and cohost of a Catholic young adult podcast Catching Foxes, which discusses the collision of Faith and Culture.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Shannon, and they have about 1,000 children and get about 3 hours of sleep a night, which is alright by him.
Dave VanVickle fell in love with the Lord at the age of fourteen and has since dedicated his life to bringing others into a radical relationship with Christ.
Dave is a speaker and retreat leader who focuses on proclaiming the universal call to holiness, authentic Catholic spirituality, spiritual warfare and deliverance. Additionally, Dave has over ten years of experience assisting Priests with their ministries of exorcism and deliverance.
Dave resides in Pittsburgh with his wife Amber and their five children: Sam, Max, Judah, Josie and Louisa.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.