God wants to speak to you every day—don’t you wish you could hear him? In this episode, Jeff walks you through the practice of Lectio Divina, teaching you how to listen for the personal messages God wants to give you each day in Scripture.
What happens when life throws us a curveball?
- We need to listen to God’s word.
- How do we do that?
- Lectio Divina is a great tool.
- Scripture tells us we can hear God.
Do you need a Word from the Lord today?
- We all have a desire to hear from the Lord.
- Lectio Divina takes about 15 minutes and can be done at the beginning of each day.
- You will marvel at how what you hear in the morning will minister to you throughout the day.
What is involved in Lectio Divina?
- Lectio Divina means “divine reading”
- You will need a Bible that you can “live in” (mark, carry around…)
- RSV Catholic is the version I use.
- You will need a notebook and pen. I use a moleskin notebook.
- You will need a silver or white marker to mark on the notebook binding the year.
- You will need a location you can be with God.
- You will need a time to be with God.
- Treat it as a very important appointment.
- You need a plan.
- What part of scripture, what will you read.
- One option is to use the day’s gospel reading.
- Another option is to pick a part of the Bible (Psalms, Proverbs…)
How to use Lectio Divina.
- Step 1 (lectio)
- Read through the text out loud to yourself (if possible).
- Just read, do not try and meditate or think about it.
- See what phrases or words jump out at you.
- Write down whatever jumps out into your notebook.
- Step 2 (meditatio)
- Meditate by entering the story using imagination.
- See how it applies to your life.
- Go over and over it in your mind “re-digesting it.”
- Step 3 (oratio)
- You can abandon your heart to God.
- Ask the Lord how your thoughts and actions should change in response to what you meditated on.
- Trust that you hear God’s voice.
- Step 4 (contemplatio)
- This is not something you do, but a place you arrive.
- It is a place of comfort and companionship with God.
- Step 5
- Come up with a simple and doable plan to put what God tells you into action.
More Great Resources from Jeff
Find free blogs, videos, and resources about Scripture and the Catholic faith at http://biblestudyforcatholics.com/.
Learn more about The Great Adventure Bible Timeline and preview any study for free.
For an easy way to transform your approach to reading Scripture, check out Jeff’s Bible Timeline Chart.
For an illustrated resource introducing God’s love story to children while helping them to understand how the Catholic Church is the body of Christ on Earth try The Great Adventure Storybook
We’d Love to Hear from You
Do you have comments or questions for Jeff? Use the comment box below, or email Jeff at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may hear your question or comment in an upcoming podcast episode!