What does the moment of the Transfiguration have to do with me? In today’s episode, Dr. Sri draws a parallel between this weekend’s Gospel, the Transfiguration of Christ, and the transformation that God wants to work in all of our lives to become more like him. Saint Peter teaches us to let His light in.
Snippet from the Show
Let that moment of Christ’s presence in your past be the light of His presence for your now.
To dive more deeply into the Passion of Jesus Christ, read Dr. Sri’s book No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion.
Sunday’s Gospel Reading: Matthew 17:1-9
Put yourself in the scene.
Imagine that you are singled out by Jesus to walk up the mountain with Him.
You’ve seen Jesus perform miracles, but you’ve never experienced this glimpse of glory before.
Why Moses and Elijah?
Two leaders of Israel that had a a theophany, a visible manifestation of Christ’s glory come close to them.
Now Peter, James and John are experiencing the same.
Also, take note in Exodus 24 with Moses and the Israelites at Mount Sinai.
Saint Peter’s Testimony: 2 Peter 1:17-19
“For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that unique declaration came to him from the majestic glory, ‘This is my Son, my beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’
We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven while we were with him on the holy mountain. Moreover, we possess a prophetic message that is altogether reliable. You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.”
Connecting Christ’s Transfiguration to Your Lenten Journey
The night before Jesus dies, what happens? Jesus singles out Peter, James, and John to be with him in Gethsemane.
But to prepare Peter for that night, Jesus first gave him a glimpse of glory.
Later on in Saint Peter’s life, in his moments of imprisonment and darkness, what did he turn to? The light of the Transfiguration. The experience of Christ’s presence.
What’s the dark moment in your life right now? Jesus is there with you.
Jesus has given you a sense of His presence in your life in the past.
Go back and remember when.
Thank the Lord for His presence.
Ask for that moment from the past to be a light for you now.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Mar 1: St. Joseph Church Parish Mission – Avon Lake, OH
- Mar 2-3: St. Michael Parish Mission – North Andover, MA
- Mar 3-4: Diocese of Springfield Catholic Life Eucharistic Conference – Springfield, MA
- Mar 16: Faith & Wine – Ft. Myers, FL
- Mar 17-18: Catholic Men’s Conference @ St. Robert Parish – Grand Rapids, MI
- Mar 22-23: St. Michael Parish Mission – Prior Lake, MN
- Mar 24-25: Archdiocesan Men’s Conference – Dubuque, IA
- Apr 13: Legatus – Denver, CO
- Apr 15: Diocese of Wichita – Couples Retreat – Wichita, KS
- Apr 19-20: St. Paul Center Priest Conference – Lakeway, TX
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.