Have you ever connected what we do at Mass to Sacred Scripture? Dr. Sri shares a glimpse into this by explaining the “Sanctus” or “Holy, Holy, Holy” and its Biblical roots. By understanding the Biblical roots of the Mass, we can more fully participate in the Sacred Liturgy.
Snippet from the Show
The words and small gestures we do at Mass are profound ways that we can profess our ardent love for Jesus.
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts! All the earth is filled with his glory!”
The four living creatures, each of them with six wings, were covered with eyes inside and out. Day and night they do not stop exclaiming:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty,
who was, and who is, and who is to come.”
What is a Seraphim?
The words from Isaiah 6:3 and Revelation 4:8 were spoken by Seraphim. Seraphim are the highest order of angels and considered the “burning ones”. They are described as “burning ones” because they are so close to God and burn with his love.
Holy, Holy, Holy
You may wonder why the word “holy” is repeated three times? There is no word for “best” in the Hebrew language, so instead a word is repeated three times in order to convey its perfection.
The Disposition of the Seraphim
In Isaiah 6:3, we read that the Seraphim cover their faces and are in awe. They display a disposition of humble reverence.
It is important that we too practice a humble reverence. There are many gestures that we do as Catholics and it can be easy to do them absentmindedly. So, when you genuflect, when you bow, when you make the sign of the cross, do so intentionally and with humble reverence. Do those gestures with a heart full of love for God.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Jun 9-10: Diocese of Marquette Eucharistic Congress – Marquette MI
- Jun 23-July 1: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 26-27: Applied Biblical Studies Conference – Steubenville OH
- July 26-28: Defending the Faith conference – Steubenville OH
- Aug 19-20: Fullness of Truth Family Conference – San Antonio TX
- Aug 25-26 – Catholic Men’s conference – Beaumont TX
- Oct 13-15 – Leaders Conference – Malta
- Nov 12-20 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Dec 8-10 – Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.