Are you allowing God to protect you? Today, Jeff explains his encounter with a killdeer bird, and what it showed him about God’s unshakable faithfulness for us.
Snippet from the Show
“For you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.” – Psalms 63:7
“but the righteous will live by his faith.”Habakkuk 2:4
God in Creation
“In creation God laid a foundation and established laws that remain firm, on which the believer can rely with confidence, for they are the sign and pledge of the unshakeable faithfulness of God’s covenant. For his part man must remain faithful to this foundation, and respect the laws which the Creator has written into it.”CCC 346
The laws of nature act as signs and pledges of God’s unshakeable love and faithfulness for us.
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!”Matthew 23:37
“Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,”Psalms 17:8
“He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.”Psalms 91:4
Just as nature shows us signs of God’s faithfulness, we can show our belief in this by allowing him to shield us with his wings.
“The Lord repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!”Ruth 2:12
There is Joy Beneath His Wings
“For you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.”Psalms 63:7
“Let me dwell in thy tent for ever! Oh to be safe under the shelter of thy wings!”Psalms 61:4
“How precious is thy steadfast love, O God! The children of men take refuge in the shadow of thy wings.”Psalms 36:7
“Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in thee my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of thy wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.”Psalms 57:1
It is Beneath His Wings That We Find Mercy
“The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be.”Exodus 25:20
“The wings of the ostrich wave proudly, but are they the pinions and plumage of love?”Job 39:13
“Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions.”Deuteronomy 32:11
“You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.”Exodus 19:4
How Can We Put ourselves Under the Lord’s Wings?
- Find a church with adoration and pray “Lord Jesus, I am here to place myself under your protection.”
- When going to mass and receiving the Eucharist, remember that you are saying “amen” to God’s unshakable faithfulness in doing so
- Dive into these scriptures and meditate on them daily
- Help to bring the lost souls around you to Jesus in some way
- Take note of nature, and look for laws that show his unshakable faithfulness
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- Kildeer Acting Wounded
- Killdeer Protecting Young with Wings
- Listen to the Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.