Melissa Girard joins us on Girlfriends to talk about the power of sacred art to reveal universal truths about humanity, the sacred, and man’s relationship with God.
We discuss the book, Looking at a Masterpiece by Madelynn Stebbins, a collection of reflections that explore the themes of more than forty of the world’s finest artistic treasures—from masters such as Piero della Francesca, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, and more. The book includes full color, high-quality reproductions of these great works of art. Stebbins writes about the universal truths these classic works illuminate, infusing her commentary with the wisdom of saints, popes, theologians, historians, and poets.
Melissa shares about the importance of incorporating inspiring art in our everyday lives and in our children’s lives. The companion book, aimed at children, is Let’s Look at a Masterpiece.
Melissa Girard is editor for Emmaus Road Publishing. She has edited books by Scott Hahn, Emily Stimpson Chapman, and the recent bestseller Why Celibacy? by Fr. Carter Griffin. Melissa is also the editor of the award-winning Old and New children’s book series by Maura Roan McKeegan.
Also mentioned in this week’s show is the related book, The Sacred That Surrounds Us by Andrea Zachman.
I recently recorded an audio version of my newest book, You Are Enough: What Women of the Bible Teach You About Your Mission and Worth. More to come!
My newest book, You Are Enough: What Women of the Bible Teach You About Your Mission and Worth, is available for order! Use the code, GIRLFRIENDS to receive ten percent off your order. Don’t miss out on this special available exclusively to listeners of the Girlfriends podcast. I can’t wait to share this book with you!
- Pray, Decide and Don’t Worry: Five Steps to Discerning God’s Will (use promo code YOUCANDISCERN to get 15% your order!
- Saturday, January 11, 2020: You’re Worth It Retreat, St. Michael Church, Exeter, NH
- Saturday, March 7, 2020: You’re Worth It Retreat at Precious Blood Parish in Jasper, IN
- Saturday, March 28, 2020: Women’s Conference in Norwich, CT
- Want me to come to your community to speak or give my retreat, You Are Enough, based on the themes in my newest book? Get all the information here!
would you consider supporting our work? Support Ascension