Angels are real and they are at work in the world. Today, the Catholic Church celebrates the feast of the archangels- St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael. Dr.Sri explains the nature of angels and teaches us how to develop a friendship with the angels that surround us.
Snippet from the Show
The angels are ready and eager to help us fight the spiritual battles in our souls, in our families, and in the culture around us.
Oftentimes, the most powerful things in life are the things we cannot see- the Holy Spirit, the power of the sacraments, the power of God’s grace in our hearts, and the power of the angels in our lives. Angels help us fight the spiritual battles in our souls, families, and culture. There are thousands of angels protecting us, guiding us, and helping us get to heaven. Angels are mentioned throughout Scripture, from Genesis to Revelation. They want to be involved in our decisions, daily challenges, and journeys to heaven. They are ready to help us, especially our guardian angels. In order to appreciate angels however, we must first understand their nature and role.
Angels in Scripture
“For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”Ephesians 6:12
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven.”Matthew 18:10
“At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time; but at that time your people shall be delivered, every one whose name shall be found written in the book.”Daniel 12:1
Nature of Angels
- Angels are purely spiritual beings. Angels have no physical bodies, they are immaterial and they do not appear to the senses.
- Angels are immortal, they live forever.
- Angels have an intellect and a will.
- Angels are superior in strength, glory, power, and beauty than all other earthly creatures.
- Angels were made for the beatific vision, to see God face to face. They were made to be fully united to God.
- The Angels faced moral testing at one point. Those who passed the test were awarded the blessedness of God, and those who rejected God received eternal damnation.
“For if God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of nether gloom to be kept until the judgment.” –2 Peter 2:4
“And the angels that did not keep their own position but left their proper dwelling have been kept by him in eternal chains in the nether gloom until the judgment of the great day.” –Jude 6.
Lucifer was the most brilliant angel but he refused to serve God and forgot that his being and brilliance was a gift from God. He rebelled against God, became the devil, and influenced thousands of angels to rebel against God, turning them into demons.
- The primary task of angels is to glorify and serve God.
- Angels serve as messengers and protectors. Every person has a guardian angel, a specific angel who cares and protects for that particular person.
- Give gratitude to God for the gift of your guardian angels.
- Develop a friendship with your guardian angel. Ask for the intercession of your guardian angel, they are powerful intermediaries between us and God.
Angel of God Prayer
Angel of God
My guardian dear
To Whom His love
Commits me here
Ever this day
Be at my side
To light and guard
To rule and guide. Amen
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at https://edwardsri.com/
- Subscribe to our show by texting “allthingscatholic” to 33-777
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholici
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.