Are some apologies better than others? Knowing how to apologize is an essential part of life. But do you know what a good apology is? Today, Dr. Edward Sri is joined by his wife Beth Sri to discuss what makes a good apology and why it is so important.
Snippet from the Show
Do not underestimate the power of forgiveness.
“I’m Sorry” and “I Forgive You”
Many of us have experienced an apology that is followed by an “if” or a “but”. It sounds something like, “I’m sorry if you feel that way” or “I’m sorry but I didn’t mean to hurt you.” When apologizing for something, it is essential that it is without conditions.
On the opposite end, it is also important to actually use the words “I forgive you.” It is very common that an apology is met with words like “It’s ok” or “Don’t worry about it.” We cannot forget the power and goodness in actually saying the words, “I forgive you.”
3 Important Components of an Apology
- Name the Wrong Done
“I’m sorry that I…”
“I bet that made you feel…”
- Plan of Action
“In the future I will…”
“Next time, I will remember to…”
When utilizing these three steps in an apology, it can feel stiff or awkward when you first start doing it. However, it is important to continue trying because it helps trust to build. Through apologizing with intentionality, it is possible to have a sense of safety and belonging in the relationship.
You can find out more about Dr. Edward and Beth Sri’s book The Good, the Messy, and the Beautiful: The Joys and Struggles of Real Married Life.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Jun 9-10: Diocese of Marquette Eucharistic Congress – Marquette MI
- Jun 23-July 1: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 26-27: Applied Biblical Studies Conference – Steubenville OH
- July 26-28: Defending the Faith conference – Steubenville OH
- Aug 19-20: Fullness of Truth Family Conference – San Antonio TX
- Aug 25-26 – Catholic Men’s conference – Beaumont TX
- Oct 13-15 – Leaders Conference – Malta
- Nov 12-20 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Dec 8-10 – Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.