Do you find yourself complaining often? In this two-part episode, Jeff shares some passages from the Old Testament about complaining, and relates our frustrations with the frustrations of the Israelites in the wilderness.
Snippet of the Show
“God thirsts that we would thirst for Him.” – St. Augustine
“Now these things happened to them as a warning, but they were written down for our instruction, upon whom the end of the ages has come.” – 1 Corinthians 10:11
The 14 Tantrums of Israel in the Desert
Complaining about Moses’ Leadership
- Exodus 5:1-22 (The people complained to Moses that because of him, Pharaoh made things worse for them)
- Exodus 14:11-12 (The people complained about their situation and said to Moses “let us alone”)
- Numbers 12:1-12 (Miriam and Aaron complain about Moses’ leadership)
- Numbers 14:10 (The people continue to complain and wanted to kill Moses and find a new leader)
- Numbers 16 (Leaders rebel against Moses)
- Numbers 16:41 (The people complained again believing that Moses was trying to kill God’s people)
- Numbers 20:1-5 (The people complain to Moses about water again, this time with terrible results for Moses)
Complaining about Water
- Exodus 15:22-23 (The people complained about the bitter water)
- Exodus 17:1-4 (The people complained about being thirsty)
Complaining about Food
- Exodus 16:1-4 (The people complained about being hungry; God gives them Manna)
- Numbers 11 (The multitude of rabble rousers along with the people of God complained about food)
Complaining about God
- Exodus 32:28 (The people forsake the Lord and worship the golden calf at Mt. Sinai)
- Numbers 14:1-10 (The people complained about how difficult it looked to conquer the giants in Canaan so they refused to enter the Promised Land)
- Numbers 21:4-5 (The people complained against God and Moses resulting in the fiery serpents)
Things to Think About this Week:
- What areas of your life do you think you complain about more?
- Who in your life would you be most fearful of if you were to ask them about your whining ways?
- In the areas above, what would you guess Jesus would say to counter your complaining?
Make sure to tune in next week for the second installment of this topic!
Plan your days with the focus on God!
The ideal planner to help busy Catholics stay organized and keep the important thing at the center—their faith. Order yours today!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- The Great Adventure Bible
- Catholic Mothers Planner 2022 by Catholic mothers for Catholic mothers.
- Listen to the Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Pilgrimages with Jeff
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.