Dave “The Exception to Every Rule” Van Vickle is back with me, Mike “Gomer” Gormley, as we talk about the ups and downs of prison ministry.
Snippet from the Show
“He said, ‘I thought joining Christianity was like joining a gang, that it would be your life, not just something you do on Sundays.’”
*Please continue to pray for Dave’s wife and family during this difficult battle with cancer.
Matthew 28:19 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
Acts 2:37-38 – “Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, ‘Brethren, what shall we do?’ And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’
Romans 5:14 – “Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.”
Romans 6:4 – “We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.”
5 Practical Tips for Prison Ministry
- Connect with a corrections ministry in your diocese so you don’t reinvent the wheel or cause any missteps that could get you in trouble.
- If you have a relative in prison, put money in their commissary account and call them or write to them.
- Donate Bibles, Catechisms, and apologetics books to your local unit, including ones in Spanish.
- Pray a Rosary this week for the incarcerated and for the correction officers.
- Check out the Romans Bible study by Ascension Press.
- GoFundMe for the VanVickle family
- Catholic Evidence Training Outlines by Frank Sheed
- Exodus 17:8-16: Amalek Attacks Israel and Is Defeated
- Judges 16: Samson and Delilah
- The Way of the Cross: Praying the Psalms with Jesus by Father Toups
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “EKSB” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Gomer and Dave’s email list!
Meet Your Hosts
Michael “Gomer” Gormley
Michael has been leading evangelization and ministry efforts for the past ten years, both as a full-time parish staff member and as a speaker and consultant for parishes, dioceses, and Catholic campus ministries.
He is also the founder and creative director of LayEvangelist.com, and the producer and cohost of a Catholic young adult podcast Catching Foxes, which discusses the collision of Faith and Culture.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Shannon. Together they have about 1,000 children and get about 3 hours of sleep a night, which is alright by him.
David “Dave” VanVickle
Dave VanVickle fell in love with the Lord at the age of fourteen. Since then, he has dedicated his life to bringing others into a radical relationship with Christ.
He is a speaker and retreat leader. His programs focuses on proclaiming the universal call to holiness, authentic Catholic spirituality, spiritual warfare and deliverance. Additionally, Dave has over ten years of experience assisting Priests with their ministries of exorcism and deliverance.
Dave resides in Pittsburgh with his wife Amber and their five children: Sam, Max, Judah, Josie and Louisa.