Are you ever intimidated by Mary? Because of her sinlessness, imitating Mary seems like an impossibility. However, Dr. Edward Sri explains that she reveals what we are called to. Although she was free from Original Sin, Mary still experienced many of life’s trials that we face as well. To help us understand her better, Dr. Sri shares examples of some of Mary’s very human experiences.
Snippet from the Show
Although Mary was conceived without sin, she still had to walk by faith and not by sight.
The Importance of Prison Ministry
- “Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them; and those who are ill-treated, since you also are in the body” (Hebrews 13:3)
- “I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me” (Matthew 25:35)
- “And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ ” (Matthew 25:40)
Interested in getting involved in prison ministry? Make sure you don’t go into prison ministry alone. Partner with an existing ministry or organization that can guide and prepare you. Check out Kolbe Prison Ministries!
Finding a Priority in the Spiritual Life
The enemy can easily distract us in our spiritual lives by overwhelming us with a long list of action items. The best way to avoid this temptation is to focus on one goal at a time. What is one thing in your spiritual life that you can grow in?
4 Marian Dogmas
- Mary is the Mother of God.
- Mary is ever-virgin.
- Mary was assumed body and soul into Heaven.
- Mary was immaculately conceived.
Pope Pius IX proclaimed, “The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.
Have you ever been troubled? Mary experienced this feeling too. In Luke 1:29, it says, “But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.’” She responded beautifully and faithfully to her fears, but she did have those feelings.
All Figured Out
Although Mary knew more than anyone else, she still did not have everything figured out. When you experience moments where life is uncertain and you have questions, remember that Mary experienced moments like that as well.
Mary experienced so much suffering. The greatest suffering she endured was witnessing the torture and execution of her Son. However, she surrendered to God and his plan in that suffering. When you are experiencing suffering in your life, look to Mary’s example. Surrender to God and whatever he may be doing in your life through your suffering.
You know prayer is important but still find it challenging. Perhaps it’s hard to find time, or you’re unsure what to do when you pray. Or maybe you feel discouraged by your weaknesses and your inability to overcome them.
If you have any of these feelings, you are not alone. Many of the saints struggled in prayer. They were like us. But each time they fell, they got up again and learned to rely more on God’s grace.
What God did in the lives of countless saints, he wants to do in the lives of ordinary people like us. And that’s what this study is about: the journey of prayer God wants to take us on.
Authored and presented by Dr. Edward Sri, When You Pray also features Fr. Jacques Philippe, Fr. Josh Johnson, Fr. Gregory Pine, Sister Josephine Garrett, Fr. Donald Haggerty, and Sister Maris Stella.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Dec 2: St. Thomas More Parish Mens’ Retreat – Centennial CO
- Dec 6-7: Immaculate Conception Parish – Columbus OH
- Dec 8-10: Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Jan 1-5: SEEK Conference, St. Louis MO
- Jan 12-13: Diocese of Evansville Eucharistic Congress – Evansville IN
- Jan 18-28: Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Jan 31: St. Thomas More Parish Marriage Talk – Centennial CO
- Feb 9-10: St. Vincent de Paul Parish Renewal Weekend – Austin TX
- Feb 15: St. Rita Parish Mission – Wellington FL
- Feb 16-17: Archdiocese of St. Louis Men’s Conference – St. Louis MO
- Feb 21: St. Anna’s Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Monroe GA
- Feb 22: Holy Trinity Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Peachtree City GA
- Mar 1-2: Annual Diocesan Conference – Laredo TX
- Mar 8-9: Catholic Men’s Conference of Maryland – Baltimore MD
- Mar 13-14: St. Michael Catholic Church Parish Mission – St. Michael MN
- Mar 15: Bishop Lucker Lecture for Diocese of New Ulm – Redwood Falls MN
- Mar 20-21: St. Louis Catholic Church Parish Mission – Miami FL
- Apr 5-6: Diocese of Charleston Eucharistic Congress – Columbia SC
- Apr 19-20: Diocesan Eucharistic Congress – Altoona-Johnstown PA
- June 20-23: St. Patrick Catholic Church – Summer Summit – London, England
- June 23-July 1: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 19-20: 2024 National Eucharistic Congress – Indianapolis IN
- Aug 10: Discipleship Conference – Oklahoma City OK
- Aug 23-24: Diocesan Faith Formation Conference – Tulsa OK
- Sept 21: 2024 Annual Meeting and Investiture of the Northern Lieutenancy of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem – Denver CO
- Oct 3: Diocese of Harrisburg Annual Priest Workshop – Hunt Valley MD
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.