There can be so much excitement and anticipation when waiting for the arrival of a new baby. Have you ever imagined what it may have been like for Mary as she waited for the arrival of Jesus? What did she do to prepare for his arrival? As Advent draws near, Dr. Edward Sri encourages us to look to Mary’s example as we prepare ourselves for Christ’s coming.
Snippet from the Show
Be attentive to the presence of God. In his presence, you will find peace.
Advent is a season of penance. It is a time for us to offer what we can to God. Recall the story of the Presentation of Jesus in Luke 2:22. Mary and Joseph brough two turtledoves as their offering. This was the common offering for those who did not have much. Although they were poor, Mary and Joseph offered what they could. We need to follow their example and offer what we can to the Lord, especially in the Advent season.
The season of Advent can be a very busy time for people with family gatherings, holiday parties, and so much more. However, it is important that in this season, we strive for having a recollected heart versus a distracted heart. As best we can, we ought to rid ourselves of anxiety and stress. Consider the words in Luke 2:19, “And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.” Let us follow Mary’s example and ponder the words of Scripture in our hearts this Advent.
Put People First
Mary offers an incredible example of what it means to put others first. Just after being told that she will be having a baby who is the Messiah, she leaves her home to visit her cousin who is also expecting. She goes to help her cousin through the remainder of her pregnancy and the first weeks of a new baby. Although each of us has our burdens and obligations, we must still look outside of ourselves and put the people in our lives first.
You know prayer is important but still find it challenging. Perhaps it’s hard to find time, or you’re unsure what to do when you pray. Or maybe you feel discouraged by your weaknesses and your inability to overcome them.
If you have any of these feelings, you are not alone. Many of the saints struggled in prayer. They were like us. But each time they fell, they got up again and learned to rely more on God’s grace.
What God did in the lives of countless saints, he wants to do in the lives of ordinary people like us. And that’s what this study is about: the journey of prayer God wants to take us on.
Authored and presented by Dr. Edward Sri, When You Pray also features Fr. Jacques Philippe, Fr. Josh Johnson, Fr. Gregory Pine, Sister Josephine Garrett, Fr. Donald Haggerty, and Sister Maris Stella.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Dec 2: St. Thomas More Parish Mens’ Retreat – Centennial CO
- Dec 6-7: Immaculate Conception Parish – Columbus OH
- Dec 8-10: Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Jan 1-5: SEEK Conference, St. Louis MO
- Jan 12-13: Diocese of Evansville Eucharistic Congress – Evansville IN
- Jan 18-28: Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Jan 31: St. Thomas More Parish Marriage Talk – Centennial CO
- Feb 9-10: St. Vincent de Paul Parish Renewal Weekend – Austin TX
- Feb 15: St. Rita Parish Mission – Wellington FL
- Feb 16-17: Archdiocese of St. Louis Men’s Conference – St. Louis MO
- Feb 21: St. Anna’s Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Monroe GA
- Feb 22: Holy Trinity Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Peachtree City GA
- Mar 1-2: Annual Diocesan Conference – Laredo TX
- Mar 8-9: Catholic Men’s Conference of Maryland – Baltimore MD
- Mar 13-14: St. Michael Catholic Church Parish Mission – St. Michael MN
- Mar 15: Bishop Lucker Lecture for Diocese of New Ulm – Redwood Falls MN
- Mar 20-21: St. Louis Catholic Church Parish Mission – Miami FL
- Apr 5-6: Diocese of Charleston Eucharistic Congress – Columbia SC
- Apr 19-20: Diocesan Eucharistic Congress – Altoona-Johnstown PA
- June 20-23: St. Patrick Catholic Church – Summer Summit – London, England
- June 23-July 1: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 19-20: 2024 National Eucharistic Congress – Indianapolis IN
- Aug 10: Discipleship Conference – Oklahoma City OK
- Aug 23-24: Diocesan Faith Formation Conference – Tulsa OK
- Sept 21: 2024 Annual Meeting and Investiture of the Northern Lieutenancy of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem – Denver CO
- Oct 3: Diocese of Harrisburg Annual Priest Workshop – Hunt Valley MD
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.