What do you treasure most in your life? Today, Jeff challenges us to look within ourselves and examine whether our hearts are set on the Kingdom of God or some other worldly treasure. Each day of our lives, we have the opportunity to level up and make Jesus our most precious treasure.
Snippet From the Show
Did you know that you are a treasure to God? He gave up everything to obtain you. But will you do the same for him?
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”- Matthew 6:25-33
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.” –Matthew 13:45
“You were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.”- 1 Peter 1:18-19
A treasure must be:
1. Treated as the most important thing in life. We must prioritize it.
2. Nurtured, cared for, and protected.
3. Used, otherwise it will deteriorate over time like an abandoned house.
4. Shared with others in an enthusiastic way.
5. Made available for others so they get a chance to obtain it. We cannot lock it up and keep it for ourselves.
1. Take stock. What is the treasure in your life? What do you invest most of your time, money, and talent in?
2. Examine how much time in your life you invest in the Kingdom of God.
3. Invest an hour in prayer and honestly ask yourself what you need to adjust to make God the center of your life.
4. Avoid mindless searching because your heart might get caught in something other than God.
5. Make the cuts and determine how your time will be invested in getting the pearl of great price. Ask God to help you see the treasure that he is!
Swedish hymn Den Kostliga Pärlan (O That Pearl of Great Price!), which begins:
O that pearl of great price! have you found it?
Is the Savior supreme in your love?
O consider it well, ere you answer,
As you hope for a welcome above.
Have you given up all for this treasure?
Have you counted past gains as but loss?
Has your trust in yourself and your merits
Come to naught before Christ and His cross?
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- Hebrews: The New and Eternal Covenant Study Program
- The Activated Disciple by Jeff Cavins
- The Great Adventure Catholic Bible
- As parishes plan for the fall, Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.