What the world needs now, is love. Today, Jeff debunks 3 reasons for not wanting to bring children into this world, using scripture and the example of Sts. Zelie and Louis Martin.
Snippet from the Show
“Every time you give birth to a child, you are giving birth to a new image of God on the earth… that’s what the world needs now, is love.”
Reasons for Not Wanting Children (Debunked!)
1. Life should have no (big) problems, so if it does, it’s unfit for children
“I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.’” – John 16:33
2. I don’t want to suffer if my children are going to suffer
“For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.” – 1 Peter 2:21
“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church” – Colossians 1:24
“This is the day which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” – Psalm 118:24
3. I’ve already lost so much, what will make this time any different?
The Story of Zelie and Louis Martin, and their daughter Therese:
“She says of the deaths of her children, “When I closed the eyes of my dear children and prepared them for burial, I was indeed grief-stricken, but, thanks to God’s grace, I have always been resigned to His will. I do not regret the pains and sacrifices I underwent for them.” She then goes on to say that she “doesn’t understand people who say ‘You’d have been better not to have gone through all of that.” She adds, “They’re enjoying heaven now. Moreover, I have not lost them always. Life is short, and I shall find my little ones again in heaven.” – St. Zelie Martin, from an article by Fr. Geoghegan
“God, give me a mother and father more worthy of Heaven than of earth.” – St. Therese of Liseux, written over her parents’ grave
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- Check out Fr. Mike’s new podcast: Bible in a Year
- Pilgrimages with Jeff
- How to Pray Like Mary by Sonja Corbitt
- “The Parents of St. Thérèse” by Fr. James Geoghegan
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.