If you live until you’re 82 years old, you will have 30,000 chances to turn toward God. Every morning, we can choose to put aside the failings of yesterday, and strive to be the person that God intends us to be.
This Advent, Jeff offers seven things you can do first thing in the morning that will set you up to serve the Lord for the rest of the day.
Snippet from the Show
If we’re going to obtain the prize [life in Christ] everyday, we can’t dwell on yesterday, we must look to what lies ahead today.
Psalm 88:13 – But I, O Lord, cry to thee; in the morning my prayer comes before thee.
Psalm 130:6-8 – my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in the Lord! For with the Lord there is steadfast love, and with him is plenteous redemption. And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Psalm 30:5 – For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
Psalm 90:14 – Satisfy us in the morning with thy steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
7 things to do in the morning
1.Make the first thing you do be the most important thing you do: talk to God!
2. Model your morning prayer after Jesus!
- Mark 1:35 – And in the morning, a great while before day, he rose and went out to a lonely place, and there he prayed.
3. Substitute anxiety for prayer and thankfulness! Make a list in a journal.
- Philipians 4:6-7 – Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Isaiah 50:4 – The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught.
- Psalm 143:8 – Let me hear in the morning of thy steadfast love, for in thee I put my trust. Teach me the way I should go, for to thee I lift up my soul.
4. Cast your cares upon the Lord!
- 1 Peter 5:6-9 – Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you. Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world.
5. Let him be your strength! Yield to him.
- Isaiah 33:2 – O Lord, be gracious to us; we wait for thee. Be our arm every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble.
- Lamentations 3:22-23 – The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness.
6. Forget about yesterday and look to what lies ahead!
- Philippians 3:13-14 – Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
7. Drink a big glass of water!
- Get Jeff’s Shownotes by texting “jeffcavins” to 33-777
- Email Jeff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with Jeff