Dr. Sri sits down with former NFL player, Joe Reitz to talk about faith, family, and football. Joe opens up about his experience living out his Catholic faith while he was in the NFL and how he continues to follow Christ today as a husband and father.
Snippet from the Show
“We are called to be winning teammates for Christ who try to get our friends, family, and loved ones to heaven. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters.”- Joe Reitz
- Exodus 90– A program based on spirituality, asceticism, and brotherhood. It helps us prioritize Christ in our lives.
- How we start our day, dictates how our day finishes. If we begin our day with prayer, it will set the tone for the day.
- In order to prioritize Christ, we need to cut out our distractions in our lives.
- When we grow deeper in our relationship with Christ, our capacity to love our family also grows.
Connections between football and faith
- The fundamentals of the NFL don’t change over time ( blocking, tackling, staying low, keeping your hands in sight)
- The fundamentals of the Catholic faith also don’t change ( the sacraments, discipleship, evangelization)
- Instant feedback and accountability is key in the NFL.
- In the Catholic faith, accountability is also a key part ( the ten commandments, examination of conscience, the sacrament of confession).
- Playing winning football
- Making enough plays to make the team win the game
- Every day in life we have the chance to be a winning teammate for Christ. Giving our absolute best to God.
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.
dang he should do a cd. I would give it to many men in my parish