How do we feed disciples in the parish and also make new disciples? Dave VanVickle explains how to foster deeper relationships with current disciples in the parish while also running programs that can draw new disciples into the parish no matter where they are in their faith.
Snippet from the Show
Remember that trust strengthens the path of discipleship, and trust is built slowly and intentionally.
Feeding Disciples in Parishes
- Check to see what is already working in the parish.
- Get a feel of the culture of the parish.
- Identify the common complaints from parishioners.
- Identify areas of improvement.
- Invest in relationships with a few people at a time
- Remember that trust strengthens the path of discipleship, and trust is built slowly and intentionally.
- Read forming intentional relationships.
- Provide Bible studies, and programs that allow disciples to learn more about Scripture.
- Run a formalized kerygma series.
- Rune a series on basic Church teachings.
- Run a series on moral formation.
- Run a series on prayer, teaching people how to pray is key.
- Find leaders to delegate events, programs, and tasks in order to avoid burnout.
- Review your testimony.
- Review the kerygma.
- Reach out to someone in your life who needs prayer and pray for them in person.
- Reach out to someone in your life who you know needs to tell their story, listen to their story.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “EKSB” to 33-777 to subscribe and be added to Gomer and Dave’s email list
- Visit Dave’s website www.thecatholictruthaboutangelsanddemons.com and www.artofevangelization.com
- Visit Mike’s website at www.layevangelist.com
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Your Hosts
Michael “Gomer” Gormley
Michael spent 17 years in full-time parish ministry and is now the Mission Evangelist for That Man Is You!, a men’s apostolate for Paradisus Dei. Michael is a frequent speaker at conferences, retreats, and parish missions all over the US and Canada.
He is the founder and creative director of LayEvangelist.com, and hosts two popular Catholic podcasts: Catching Foxes and Every Knee Shall Bow.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Shannon, and has four beautiful and hilarious children: Kateri, Cecilia, Noah, and Thomas.
Dave VanVickle fell in love with the Lord at the age of fourteen and has since dedicated his life to bringing others into a radical relationship with Christ.
He is a speaker and retreat leader who focuses on proclaiming the universal call to holiness, authentic Catholic spirituality, spiritual warfare and deliverance. Additionally, Dave has over ten years of experience assisting Priests with their ministries of exorcism and deliverance.
Dave married his late wife Amber in 2010. He now resides in Pittsburgh with his five children: Sam, Max, Judah, Josie and Louisa.