Without empathy for the outsider, we can’t get very far in evangelization. Today, I share part three of a talk I recently gave at my parish about bringing your loved ones back to Christ. I talk about five mistakes that will keep them away, and five ways to lovingly draw them back.
Snippet from the Show
“The most important part of evangelization is radical, unbending charity. Your child, spouse, friend, sibling, neighbor, or other loved one needs to be listened to and treated with respect.“
The most important part of evangelization is radical, unbending charity. Your child, spouse, friend, sibling, neighbor, or other loved one needs to be listened to and treated with respect. We believe that all human beings are made in the image and likeness of God Himself, and thus are fundamentally good.
All fallen humans also have desires and questions, and do make mistakes in responding to those things. Whatever your loved one is doing or saying, they are driven (no matter how deep down) by a desire for the good, true, and beautiful.
“..to desire happiness is nothing else than to desire that one’s will be satisfied. And this everyone desires… And thus all do not know Happiness; because they know not in what thing the general notion of happiness is found” – Aquinas, ST I-II. Q5. A8
If you want to lead them back to what is really True, you must first acknowledge their struggles and validate their inherent fundamental good-will.
Five Mistakes That Will Almost Certainly Keep Them Away:
- Force them to go to Mass.
- Criticize their lifestyle.
- Nag them.
- Dismiss their objections.
- Assume you can change them.
Five Ways To Draw Them Into A Loving Relationship (with you):
- Make your love unmistakable.
- Ask for and express forgiveness.
- Take an interest in their hobbies.
- Cultivate a house of hospitality.
- Plant “seed gifts” in their life.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “EKSB” to 33-777 to subscribe and be added to Gomer and Dave’s email list
- The Activated Disciple by Jeff Cavins
- Visit Dave’s website www.thecatholictruthaboutangelsanddemons.com and www.artofevangelization.com
- Visit Mike’s website at www.layevangelist.com
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Your Hosts
Michael “Gomer” Gormley
Michael has been leading evangelization and ministry efforts for the past ten years, both as a full-time parish staff member and as a speaker and consultant for parishes, dioceses, and Catholic campus ministries.
Michael is also the founder and creative director of LayEvangelist.com, and the producer and cohost of a Catholic young adult podcast Catching Foxes, which discusses the collision of Faith and Culture.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Shannon, and they have about 1,000 children and get about 3 hours of sleep a night, which is alright by him.
Dave VanVickle fell in love with the Lord at the age of fourteen and has since dedicated his life to bringing others into a radical relationship with Christ.
Dave is a speaker and retreat leader who focuses on proclaiming the universal call to holiness, authentic Catholic spirituality, spiritual warfare and deliverance. Additionally, Dave has over ten years of experience assisting Priests with their ministries of exorcism and deliverance.
Dave resides in Pittsburgh with his wife Amber and their five children: Sam, Max, Judah, Josie and Louisa.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.