As we approach Advent, are there areas of your life that seem empty? This week, Dr. Sri connects our longing for the Lord to the longing of the first century Jews, who inspire us to look deeply into the disposition of our hearts, to weed out fruitless distractions, and to invite God into the areas of life that we long for him to fill.
Snippet From the Show
During this Advent season, may I never stop longing for a God who never stops longing for me.
How to Live Advent
A) If someone looked at your day-to-day life throughout the month of December, would they know that you are Catholic?
B) Do not allow the busyness and “to do” lists of the season to crowd out what God wants to do inside your soul.
The Advent Wreath
A) Four candles
B) Four weeks of Advent
C) 4,000 years of Israel longing for the Messiah
Why Do We Need a Savior?
To save me from myself.
To save me from my troubles.
To save me from my fears.
To save me from my attachments.
To save me from my lack of trust in the Father.
The Longing of Ancient Israelites
The glory of the Lord left the Temple.
The Jews were longing for God to come again, to dwell among them.
Are there areas of my life that seem as empty as the Temple?
Maybe it’s family life.
Maybe it’s a relationship with a coworker, boss, someone in your church family.
Maybe it’s your prayer life.
Offer these areas up to the Lord: “Come, come, Emmanuel. Please come and fill this space.”
Possessing the Promised Land
The Jews were given the land, but then were dispossessed from that land.
They come back to live in the land, but they don’t actually possess the land.
They longed to be free again.
What areas of your life are longing for freedom?
Maybe it’s attachment to food.
Maybe it’s guarding my eyes with chastity and purity.
Maybe I’m too attached to my devices.
Maybe I struggle with anger or discouragement.
This Advent, how can I achieve greater self-possession in all of these areas? Even in one of these areas?
Events with Dr. Sri
- December 1, 2022: Authentic Leadership Foundation – Dallas TX
- December 7, 2022: St. Anthony Catholic Church – Sterling CO
- January 2-6, 2023: FOCUS SEEK23 – St. Louis MO
- January 12-20, 2023: Holy Land Pilgrimage
- February 2-3, 2023: St. Nicholas Church, Marriage Enrichment Workshop – Memphis TN
- February 10-11, 2023: Diocese of Little Rock Men’s Conference – Little Rock AR
- February 17-18, 2023: St. Mary Magdalen Church – Simpsonville SC
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email email@example.com
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.