We are created to be loved, and to love others. But it’s easy to settle for likes. We feel a boost of ego when someone leaves a flattering comment or shares our post, and it’s satisfying … to a point. But deep inside we all want to be loved, not just liked.
Jeff brings up Scripture passages on what it means to be created for love and talks about the things that hold us back from pursuing authentic love.
Snippet from the Show
“We are created for love, but we settle for likes because of fear, anger, hurt, woundedness, ego, inconvenience, love of money—all of these things can stop us.”
John 15:13 – “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
CCC 545 – “Jesus invites sinners to the table of the kingdom: ‘I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.’ He invites them to that conversion without which one cannot enter the kingdom, but shows them in word and deed his Father’s boundless mercy for them and the vast ‘joy in heaven over one sinner who repents’. The supreme proof of his love will be the sacrifice of his own life ‘for the forgiveness of sins”.
John 13:34 – “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”
John 17:26 – “I made known to them thy name, and I will make it known, that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
John 14:21 – “He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”
Ephesians 5:25 – “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her”
John 1:18 – “No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.”
What stops the love of God?
- Fear – fear of opening up your heart
- Anger – unresolved conflict in our hearts
- Hurt – go to confession and profess your desire to grow closer to God
- Woundedness – wounds from our lives that stop us from receiving the love of God
- Jealousy, Envy, and Inconvenience
- Ego – believing that we can do it all on our own
- Love of Money and Career – are our careers keeping us from loving those around us?
- Romans: The Gospel of Salvation Study Program is now available for pre-order!
- The Great Adventure Catholic Bible
- Activated Disciple
- Jeff Cavins Pilgrimages
Connect with Jeff