What does it mean to say Mary is “blessed among women?” Dr. Sri shares how meaningful these three words are and what they reveal to us about Mary. Dr. Sri also offers three practical ways to keep Mary more present in your life.
Snippet from the Show
Mary’s strength is apparent in her surrender to God’s will.
Events with Dr. Sri
- June 15-16: Salt & Light Radio Gala, Boise/Twin Falls ID
- June 22-23: Rome Pilgrimage
- July 27-29: Applied Biblical Studies Conference – Franciscan University/Steubenville OH
- July 29-31: Defending the Faith – Franciscan University/Steubenville OH
- Aug 5-7: Faith on Fire Family Weekend – Anacortes WA
- Sept 23-24: Diocese of Springfield Conference – Springfield MO
The words “blessed among women” appear in Luke 1:40 at the Visitation. It is with these words that Elizabeth greets Mary. This greeting is extraordinary because these are words of high praise and are a title of honor that had not been used in centuries. There are only two other women in the Bible to have been given this title.
Jael and Judith
A woman named Jael appears in Judges 5:24-26. Her story involves her crushing the head of a Canaanite general with a tent peg. She did this to free her people and was praised by being called “blessed among women.” In the book of Judith, we read about the woman Judith. Similar to Jael, Judith also killed to protect her people. Judith beheaded an Assyrian general who had been oppressing her people.
Mary also rescues her people from enemies. However, the difference between her and Jael and Judith is that Mary did not fight a physical battle with a sword or a tent peg. Rather, Mary fought a spiritual battle with her “Yes” and through her Child. Also, Mary’s enemy was not a pagan general, but sin, death, and the devil.
- Turn to Mary and ask her to help you fight your spiritual battles. Seek her intercession.
- Have confidence in Mary. Entrust your struggles to her. Be confident that she will you with her prayers.
- When you pray the “Hail Mary” remember the meaning of the words “blessed among women.”
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.