If you want to grow spiritually, you really have to focus on some specific areas and go for it. In this third and final part of a series on “Being Specific,” Jeff Cavins turns to the areas of Sacraments and books. He offers suggestions for specific areas to focus on in the sacraments. He also advises a particular way to approach reading books.
Snippet from the Show
“Confession heals, confession justifies, confession grants pardon of sin, all hope consists in confession; in confession, there is a chance for mercy.” -St. Isidore
“Nothing gets dynamic until it gets specific.”
Criteria for Being Specific
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Phil 4:8).
Ways to Get Specific in Sacraments and in Reading
- Make a Holy Hour. Spend time with our Lord in the Eucharist. Rest with him. Listen to him.
- Make a good Confession regularly. Spend a good amount of time preparing for your confession.
- Read smart. Don’t go wide and shallow; go narrow and deep. Find a topic or topics that you really want to learn thoroughly.
- Give specific words of encouragement to others.
- When you make decisions, seek counsel and make an informed decision.
“Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.”
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.”
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- The Great Adventure Bible
- Listen to The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Pilgrimages with Jeff
- Jeff’s Daily Gospel Reflections with Jonathan Roumie: www.hallow.com/jeffcavins
Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.