When you hear the stories of the saints is it ever overwhelming? Some of their stories are so extraordinary that they can feel quite unrelatable. Dr. Edward Sri shares some of the saint stories that are very relatable. There are saints who made human mistakes, who struggled to pray, and didn’t always feel loved by God. Dr. Sri talks about those stories and how we can be more like the saints.
Snippet from the Show
You need a heart that is willing to be united to Jesus in his loneliness, in his misunderstanding, and in his suffering.
The Physical Can Be a Sign of the Spiritual
We must look beyond the physical or surface events in the saint’s lives and see what was going on spiritually. Some saints received the stigmata, the marks of Christ’s passion, on their bodies. However, what Christ truly did in their lives goes much deeper than those marks. Oftentimes, these physical signs or great sufferings merely get our attention so that we can look more deeply and encounter Jesus. Look for the spiritual reality.
Is God Asking You to Be Detached?
Practicing detachment can be incredibly difficult. Detachment can be practiced in many different ways. It can be detachment from material things: food, clothing, and other goods. Perhaps, you need to practice detachment from what other people think and say about you. Or maybe, you need to be detached from your plans. Whatever it might be, ask the Holy Spirit to help you be detached from worldly things and be more attached to God and his will.
When You Pray: A Clear Path to a Deeper Relationship with God
You know prayer is important but still find it challenging. Perhaps it’s hard to find time, or you’re unsure what to do when you pray. Or maybe you feel discouraged by your weaknesses and your inability to overcome them.
If you have any of these feelings, you are not alone. Many of the saints struggled in prayer. They were like us. But each time they fell, they got up again and learned to rely more on God’s grace.
What God did in the lives of countless saints, he wants to do in the lives of ordinary people like us. And that’s what this study is about: the journey of prayer God wants to take us on.
Authored and presented by Dr. Edward Sri, When You Pray also features Fr. Jacques Philippe, Fr. Josh Johnson, Fr. Gregory Pine, Sister Josephine Garrett, Fr. Donald Haggerty, and Sister Maris Stella.
Upcoming Events with Dr. Sri
- Nov 12-20 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Dec 6-7 – Immaculate Conception Parish – Columbus OH
- Dec 8-10 – Immaculate Conceptions Men’s Retreat – Malvern PA
- Jan 1-5 – SEEK Conference, St. Louis MO
- Jan 12-13 – Diocese of Evansville Eucharistic Congress – Evansville IN
- Jan 18-28 – Holy Land Pilgrimage
- Feb 15 – St. Rita Parish Mission – Wellington FL
- Feb 16-17 – Archdiocese of St. Louis Men’s Conference – St. Louis MO
- Feb 21 – St. Anna’s Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Monroe GA
- Feb 22 – Holy Trinity Catholic Church – Parish Lenten Mission – Peachtree City GA
- Mar 1-2 – Annual Diocesan Conference – Laredo TX
- Mar 8-9 – Catholic Men’s Conference of Maryland – Baltimore MD
- Mar 13-14 – St. Michael Catholic Church Parish Mission – St. Michael MN
- Mar 15 – Bishop Lucker Lecture for Diocese of New Ulm – Redwood Falls MN
- Mar 20-21 – St. Louis Catholic Church Parish Mission – Miami FL
- Apr 5-6 – Diocese of Charleston Eucharistic Congress – Columbia SC
- Apr 19-20 – Diocesan Eucharistic Congress – Altoona-Johnstown PA
- Aug 17 – Discipleship Conference – Oklahoma City OK
- Aug 23-24 – Diocesan Faith Formation Conference – Tulsa OK
- Oct 3 – Diocese of Harrisburg Annual Priest Workshop – Hunt Valley MD
- Visit Dr. Sri’s website at www.edwardsri.com and to book online events with Dr. Sri email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find more of Dr. Sri’s episodes at www.ascensionpress.com/allthingscatholic
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to www.ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Dr. Edward Sri is a theologian, well-known Catholic speaker, and author of several best-selling books. His work with Ascension includes study programs such as A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ’s Passion and Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother. Several of Dr. Sri’s programs were filmed on-site in the Holy Land, and feature immersive video explorations of the sacred sites where Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles lived and died.
Dr. Sri is the host of the acclaimed Ascension podcast All Things Catholic with Dr. Edward Sri. Together with Curtis Martin, Dr. Sri is a founding leader of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), of which he serves as senior vice president of Apostolic Outreach.
Dr. Sri lives with his wife Beth and their children in Colorado.