Is it a sin to get a tattoo? In today’s episode, Jeff responds to this very common and sometimes controversial question. Jeff offers Scriptural references, Church teaching, and great points to ponder concerning the topic of tattoos.
Snippet from the Show
Tattoo your heart with the love of Christ.
“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28).
“Henceforth let no man trouble me; for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus” (Gal 6:17).
“God adorned Israel with bracelets in jewelry” (Ezekiel 16).
“God chastises Israel for their self-centered adornment” (Isaiah 2).
“Women should adorn themselves modestly and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly attire but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion” (1 Tim 2:9-10).
“Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious”(1 Peter 3:3-4).
Considering Getting a Tattoo? Here Are Some Things to Think About
1. There is an inordinate focus on self in our culture. A radical individualism. There is a focus on “my truth.” Think about this before laying down the ink.
2. Tattoos are permanent. Very different than applying makeup or a cologne. Caution regarding numbers, names and political movements or causes. Will your future spouse appreciate the meaning?
3. Is this message a permanent message in your life?
4. You will change. You will not look the same in 40 years as you do today. You will change and the culture will change as well.
5. Tattoos for the most part do not make you more beautiful or handsome. They typically become less desirable as they age. When your future spouse asks why you didn’t get a tattoo, you could say, “Because I was saving this body for you.”
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- The Great Adventure Bible
- Listen to The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Pilgrimages with Jeff
- Jeff’s Daily Gospel Reflections with Jonathan Roumie: www.hallow.com/jeffcavins
Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.