Confirmation can be a powerful turning point in our relationship with Christ. Today, Jeff and Colin MacIver from Ascension talk about the beauty of the sacrament of Confirmation and point us to a new resource- The Catechist’s Field Guide to Confirmation- that will prepare confirmation candidates for an impactful encounter with the Holy Spirit.
Snippet from the Show
The sacrament of Confirmation is an outpouring of the Holy Spirit that is permanent, it makes a powerful and lasting change in the soul.
The sacrament of Confirmation is an outpouring of the Holy Spirit that is permanent, it makes a powerful and lasting change in the soul. It is an important sacrament that equips us for mission and discipleship with Christ.
“Like Baptism which it completes, Confirmation is given only once, for it too imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual mark, the “character,” which is the sign that Jesus Christ has marked a Christian with the seal of his Spirit by clothing him with power from on high so that he may be his witness”.- CCC 1304
“Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace;
- it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”
- it unites us more firmly to Christ;
- it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
- it renders our bond with the Church more perfect
- it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross.” – CC1303
Confirmation Pro Tip for Parents
- Pray for your son or daughter who is preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation.
- Ask intentional questions about the faith and listen carefully.
- Step up the engagement of the faith at home. Make time to pray as a family at home, try starting with a daily rosary.
- Understand the Bible, take time to read Scripture with your family.
The Catechist’s Field Guide to Confirmation
The Catechist’s Field Guide to Confirmation takes the fear and stress out of being a Confirmation catechist. The prospect of volunteering as a Confirmation catechist can be intimidating and even a little confusing. But The Catechist’s Field Guide offers a clear vision of your mission as a catechist and how to achieve it.
You’ll come away understanding the who’s, what’s, and why’s of Confirmation prep, confident in your ability to witness the Faith to your candidates and help raise them up into lifelong discipleship.
The Catechist’s Field Guide provides:
- Guidance on Confirmation’s purpose and nature, keeping you focused on a single, unwavering objective.
- Explanations around the 7 “pieces of equipment” the Holy Spirit provides us through our Confirmation, which helps you equip your candidates for a life in Christ.
- Insights into those reasons that candidates (and their parents) might have for seeking Confirmation, helping you meet them where they are.
- A systematic unpacking of the ways the Holy Spirit’s presence “overflows” and pours out of us through his fruits.
- The Five-Stage “Roadmap” that helps you smoothly navigate the way to an effective Confirmation prep experience.
- Detailed dossiers on the four “types” of Confirmation candidates you’ll come across in your time as a catechist (including tips on how to engage each and every one).
- Profiles on the four categories of parent’s you’re likely to encounter as a catechist, advice on how to reach each one, and tips for addressing questions and concerns.
- Strategies for transitioning your program digitally to accommodate distance learning, online meetings, and flipped classrooms.
- A seasoned high school teacher’s advice from the front lines regarding classroom management, reaching teens where they are, and much more.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- The Catechist’s Field Guide to Confirmation
- Hebrews: The New and Eternal Covenant Study Program
- As parishes plan for the fall, Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.