On today’s show, Jeff talks about how we can love members of our family that may have fallen away from the faith. Whether its siblings, cousins, or even our parents, these seven tips on how to love your wayward children are sure to strengthen your family.
Snippet From the Show
“Praying that they become Catholic is not enough, Christ is the goal.”
- The problem isn’t that they’re living the wrong way, it’s that they don’t know Christ
- Your hope should be that they fall in love with Jesus, so you should be showing them Jesus in you
- Don’t expect them to be like Christ, they’re not in Christ yet
- Moralizing does not work
- Looks and remarks of disappointment don’t work either
- Don’t expect them to change before you change
- It’s not about you
- Find a saint that relates to the somehow, and pray for their intercession
- Stay in relationship with your child
- Point them to Christ through your actions
- Run to your wayward child
- Keep your home open to them
- Respect their friends
- Take an interest in their passions
Proverbs 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Malachi 4:6 – “And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- Ascension invites you to explore our many resources and programs to help us all come together again.
- PREVIOUS EPISODE: Reflecting on Racism (with Fr. Josh)
- Pray, Decide, and Don’t Worry: Five Steps to Discerning God’s Will
Meet Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.