Jeff brings together seven Scripture verses to help you start decluttering your relationships. Reflecting on these will help you in your family life, friendships, work relationships, and your relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Snippet from the Show
“There is nothing that destroys relationships and ruins people’s lives like envy, because it will follow you 24/7.”
7 Steps to Decluttering Your Relationships
- Don’t hold grudges
Matthew 18:23-35 (The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant) – “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, ‘Pay what you owe.’ So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”
- Get rid of any envy towards others.
Romans 12:15 – “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.”
- Choose your close friends carefully.
1 Corinthians 15:33 – “Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
Matthew 5:37 – “Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.”
- Don’t talk negatively or gossip about others; always speak positively.
Colossians 4:6 – “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer every one.”
- Follow the people online that you are truly interested in.
Galatians 4:9 – “but now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits, whose slaves you want to be once more?”
- Make it your goal to be a disciple, not an influencer.
Matthew 16:26 – “For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?”
Ultimate Step: Make Jesus your #1 relationship
- “2020 Vision” Young Adult Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- Email me at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- Video: The Difference Between Jealousy and Envy by Fr. Mike
- How to Pray Like Mary by Sonja Corbitt
- Previous Podcast: Created for Love, Settling for Likes
- The Activated Disciple: Taking Your Faith to the Next Level by Jeff Cavins
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.