Whether you think Valentine’s Day is romantic fun or an over-commercialized beast, we can use it as an opportunity to spread joy.
This holiday seems reserved for couples without kids, but celebrating love is something everyone can partake in.
So whether you celebrate on your own, with friends, a significant other, or kids, here are some ideas to spread joy on Valentine’s Day.
1. Send anonymous Valentines
Send a secret Valentine to someone who will not be expecting it. Write a note of thanks or encouragement on it and surprise them! Maybe your pastor? The old lady who works at Target? Who will you give this secret gift to?
2. Express gratitude
Think of someone in your life that you are grateful to and write them a real note of thanks. Spread the joy by thanking multiple people if you like!
3. Volunteer somewhere
Your local crisis pregnancy center or food pantry or nursing home would probably love for you to offer a few hours of your time doing whatever they need done. It could be as simple as making phone calls or making deliveries. Find out what they need and do it for them. For extra joy, bring your kids along!
4. Give anonymous service
Will you shovel your neighbor’s walkway? Do an extra chore around the house? Clean the classroom for your child’s teacher? Make this Valentine’s Day a joyful one by giving someone a gift of unexpected service.
5. Love yourself
Especially if you are tempted to throw a pity party for yourself because it’s not the Valentine’s day of your dreams, look for a way to enjoy something and love yourself a little bit. Take some time to sip a cup of tea and read a book, enjoy a special treat, watch a show you love, get your nails done, or buy yourself flowers. Whatever will make you feel loved, take the time to take care of yourself and you will be ready to spread joy to others.
Have feedback or an idea to share? I would love to hear from you!
- Saint Valentine by Robert Sabuda
- Here is the link to the Litany of Trust (where you can now order prayer cards!)
- Catholic Momcast featuring Lisa Hendey and me
- Join our Girlfriends Podcast Facebook group!
- I am beginning work to record an audio version of my newest book, You Are Enough: What Women of the Bible Teach You About Your Mission and Worth. More to come!
- Get ten percent off my book when you purchase from Ascension by using the code, GIRLFRIENDS
- Saturday, February 23, 2019: You’re Worth It! Retreat at Catholic Church of Saint Mark, Virginia Beach, VA
- Saturday, April 27, 2019: Together in Holiness Marriage Conference in San Antonio, TX
- Saturday, May 11, 2019: You Are Enough Retreat at Light of the World Roman Catholic Church, Littleton, CO
- Would you like to have me come to your community to speak or give my retreat, You Are Enough, based on the themes in my newest book? Get all the information here!
- Subscribe to Girlfriends in iTunes
- Subscribe to Girlfriends in Stitcher
- Rate and Review Girlfriends in iTunes
- Email Danielle Bean
- Leave voice feedback
- Girlfriends on Facebook
- Danielle Bean on Facebook
- Danielle Bean on Twitter
- Danielle Bean on Instagram
- Connect with me on Voxer!