Drawing from St. Paul, James, and Proverbs, Jeff brings up three decisions that will change your life for the better.
First, value your time as a gift from God. Second, invest in people, not things. Third, seek wisdom, not trivia. These three changes will have a ripple effect on your life, and help you orient yourself towards God.
Snippet from the Show
“The decision to invest in people and not things will change your life.”
Pictures taken from Pope St. John Paul II’s childhood home:
3 Decisions that will change your life:
- Think of time as a treasure.
- Ecclesiastes 3:11 – “He has made everything beautiful in its time; also he has put eternity into man’s mind, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.”
- Ephesians 5:15-17 – “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
- Invest in people, not things.
- God, family, friends, then people the Lord has put in your path for evangelization
- Seek Wisdom, Not Trivia!
- James 1:5-8 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways, will receive anything from the Lord.”
- James 3:13 – “Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good life let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.”
- Proverbs 4:7 – “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.”
All wisdom is hidden in Jesus. Jesus has given the keys to the kingdom to Peter. The Church is the pillar and support of truth.
Ways to seek wisdom:
- Reading Scripture
- CCC 122 – “Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional, “the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings “are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way.”
- Colossians 1:9 – “And so, from the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding … ”
- Ephesians 1:9-10 – “For he has made known to us in all wisdom and insight the mystery of his will, according to his purpose which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.”
- Doing God’s Word
- CCC 348 – “The sabbath is at the heart of Israel’s law. To keep the commandments is to correspond to the wisdom and the will of God as expressed in his work of creation.”
- Systematic and organic presentation of God’s plan of sheer goodness (CCC)
- Reading Encyclicals/Church Documents
- Great wisdom for everyday living: Consider reading Familiaris Consortio
- Listening to the elderly and wise people, reading the saints
- Not reading a lot, but reading well
- Prayer: Spending time with Jesus
- Proverbs 2:6 – “For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding … ”
- Recognizing our dependence upon God as a source of wisdom
- CCC 301 – “With creation, God does not abandon his creatures to themselves. He not only gives them being and existence, but also, and at every moment, upholds and sustains them in being, enables them to act and brings them to their final end. Recognizing this utter dependence with respect to the Creator is a source of wisdom and freedom, of joy and confidence.”
- Keeping a journal of practical wisdom
- Email Jeff: email@example.com
- Get Jeff’s Shownotes by texting “jeffcavins” to 33-777
- Episode 137: My First Bike and How God Provides!
- Holy Land Pilgrimage in January 2020
- “2020 Vision” Young Adult Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- Pocket Guide to the Rosary by Matt Fradd
- Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio of Pope John Paul II
- Apostolic Exhortation Salvifici Doloris of Pope John Paul II
- Activated Disciple Seminar
Connect with Jeff