Why is it so difficult to simplify our life? Jeff has always had a passion for the concept of simplifying one’s life, and now he’s going to share that passion with you! On today’s show, Jeff talks about ways you can simplify your life during quarantine, and answers some of your questions in a LIVE Facebook broadcast.
Snippet from the Show
“Beautiful things point to Jesus, and if we can get ahold of that, it will change our lives.”
Henry David Thoreau – “there are a thousand hacking at the grantees of evil to one who is striking at the root.”
Thomas Kelly, Quaker teacher – “I would suggest that the true explanation of the complexity of our program is an inner one, not an outer one. The outer distractions of our interests reflect an inner lack of integration in our lives. We are trying to be several selves at once without all ourselves being organized by a single mastering life within us.”
The Origins of Complexity!
- 2 Corinthians 11:3 – “But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”
- NASB version – “But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.”
The Spiritual (Internal) Problem leads to Natural Consequences!
- C.S. Lewis – “God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.”
- Samuel Johnson – “It is generally allowed, that no man ever found the happiness of possession proportionate to that expectation which incited his desire, and invigorated his pursuit; nor has any man found the evils of life so formidable in reality, as they were described to him by his own imagination; every species of distress brings with it some peculiar supports, some unforeseen means of resisting, or powers of enduring.”
- CS Lewis: (The Problem of Pain) – “All things that have every deeply possessed you should have been but hints of [heaven] – tantalizing glimpses, promises never quite fulfilled, echoes that died away just as they caught your ear…If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the more probable explanation is that I was made for another world…Earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.”
Jesus – The Example!
- Everything in His life emanated from His relationship with His Father!
- CCC 2602 – “Everything that he said and did came from His time with the Father!”
- The secret to simplicity is relationship!
- Matthew 6:33 – “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.”
- When we determine our audience, we determine our reward!
- Ephesians 5:15-17 – “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
- John 8:31-32 – “If you hold to my teaching you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- Abraham Joshua Heschel – “One of the chief problems of contemporary man is the problem: What to do with time? Most of our life we spend time in order to gain space, namely things of space. Yet when the situation arrives in which no things of space may be gained, the average man is at a loss as to what to do with time.”
- Psalm 101:3-4 – ”I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.”
Your Questions Answered!
- “The Stillness of Receiving” (Timemark) from Linda
- “Missing the Sacraments During Quarantine” (Timemark) from Bernadette
- “Simplifying Retail Therapy” (Timemark) from Vickie
- “How Did Adam and Eve Choose Creation Over God?” (Timemark) from Eric
Tip: Make a list of the 5-10 most meaningful relationships in your life, and think about how you can invest yourself into those relationships (even if it means clearing away other social gatherings and interactions that don’t carry as much importance.)
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- A video message from Jeff Cavins
- Learn about more of what Ascension is doing during the coronavirus here.
- The Great Adventure Catholic Bible
- The Activated Disciple: Taking Your Faith to the Next Level by Jeff Cavins
- Unboxing Videos for The Great Adventure Catholic Bible on Youtube
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.