Did you know that seven people in the Bible were named before birth, including Jesus? A name given to a baby in the womb says to the world that they are of great value. Today, Jeff dives into scripture to show us times when babies were named in the womb before birth and encourages us to consider naming a child in the womb!
Snippet from the Show
Did you know that seven people in the Bible were named before birth, including Jesus? A name given to a baby in the womb says to the world that they are of great value.
Here are seven people in the Bible who were named before birth, and in some cases their gender wasn’t even known.
1. Ishmael – (Genesis 16:11) “And the angel of the LORD said to her, “Behold, you are pregnant and shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because the LORD has listened to your affliction.”
2. Isaac – (Genesis 17:19) “God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.”
3. Solomon – (1 Chronicles 22:9) “Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days.”
4. Josiah – (1 King 13:2) “And the man cried against the altar by the word of the LORD and said, “O altar, altar, thus says the LORD: ‘Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name, and he shall sacrifice on you the priests of the high places who make offerings on you, and human bones shall be burned on you.”
5. Cyrus – (Isaiah 44:26-28) “who confirms the word of his servant and fulfills the counsel of his messengers, who says of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be inhabited,’ and of the cities of Judah, ‘They shall be built, and I will raise up their ruins’; who says to the deep, ‘Be dry; I will dry up your rivers’; who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose’; saying of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be built,’ and of the temple, ‘Your foundation shall be laid.”
6. John the Baptist – (Luke 1:13-17) “But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”
7. Jesus – (Matthew 1:21) “She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
LIVE Virtual Bible Study: Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible with Jeff Cavins
This fall, you have the opportunity to participate in a LIVE virtual Bible study with me on Wednesday nights. Starting on Wednesday, September 16th at 8PM EST, I will be presenting one of Ascension’s most popular Great Adventure Bible studies- Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible. I will be hosting the Bible study in 8 LIVE interactive sessions on Ascension’s Facebook page. Each hour-long live session will consist of prayer, teaching, and audience engagement (Q&A).
BUY YOUR WORKBOOK:
Get your physical workbook of Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible at https://ascensionpress.com/unlocking-the-mystery
When you purchase the workbook, you will get access to the 8 pre-recorded video sessions to watch before each live session. For a $5 discount on your workbook, use the code jeffcavinspodcast at checkout.
Text UMBLIVE to 33-777 to receive email updates about the event.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list!
- The Activated Disciple by Jeff Cavins
- The Great Adventure Catholic Bible
- As parishes plan for the fall, Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings!
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.