What does it mean to live the good life? Jeff Cavins describes what it really means to live the good life and gives twelve aspects of living it. He also identifies the barriers we might face in our pursuit.
Snippet from the Show
A key to living the good life is to daily do the will of God.
BIY Virtual Conference on February 18-20:
There will be four main sessions beginning Friday night and ending on Sunday afternoon. Each session explores a different dimension of continuing a life immersed in the Word of God, and each session will include a presentation either by Father Mike or Jeff Cavins, an opportunity for fellowship with other Bible in a Year listeners, an interactive prayer experience, and the chance to reflect on what you’ve experienced, either in your virtual small group or on your own.
Seating is limited! Sign up here: https://ascensionpress.com/pages/bible-in-a-year-retreat
“Pop-Up” Pilgrimage to the Holy Land with Jeff & Emily Cavins, June 1-12, 2022
Go to: https://www.jeffcavins.com/pop-up-pilgrimage-to-the-holy-land-june-1-12-2022/
or call: Select International at 800-842-4842
Living the Good Life
What does it mean to lead a good life? The world tells us that a good job, high income, influence, material goods, etc. are all necessary in order to have a good life. In reality, living the good life means walking with God here on earth and spending eternity with him in Heaven.
Barriers to Living the Good Life
There are a couple of barriers to living the good life. First, if we use the world’s standards for what it means to have a good life, we will keep ourselves from what is truly important: to walk with God. Secondly, if we do not live in moderation, living the good life becomes that much harder. Living in excess is a large barrier against living the good life.
2 Peter 1:3-8
“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, that through these you may escape from the corruption that is in the world because of passion, and become partakers of the divine nature. For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Aspects of the Good Life (1-6)
- Pay Attention to the condition of your soul.
- To live a good life means that you daily do the will of God for your vocation.
- To live the good life means that you deal with sin in your life and the Peace of God will rule in your life.
- To live the good life means all things in moderation.
- To live the good life means that you know the difference between being rich in the sense of this world and being rich in the sense of the kingdom.
- Living the good life means that you have learned to be content in all things.
“Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want. I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”
Aspects of the Good Life (7-8)
- Enjoying the good life is enjoying warm affirming trustworthy friendships.
- Filling your mind with truth rather than wading in the arguments and conspiracy theories of cable news night after night.
“Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore, do not associate with them, for once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is a shame even to speak of the things that they do in secret.”
Aspects of the Good Life (9-12)
- Living the good life is making your mind up that the most important affirmation that counts is from God.
- A good life is the ability to link experiences and insights together resulting in more truth and wisdom.
- To live the good life means that you are preparing to live a fruitful, holy and exemplary life in your old age.
- To live the good life means that you are preparing for a good death.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Text “jeffcavins” to 33-777 to subscribe and get added to Jeff’s shownotes email list
- Visit Jeff’s website at www.jeffcavins.com
- The Great Adventure Bible
- Listen to The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Pilgrimages with Jeff
- Jeff’s Show with Jonathan Roumie: www.hallow.com/jeffcavins
Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings
Meet Your Host: Jeff Cavins
Jeff Cavins is passionate about helping people understand Scripture and become disciples of Jesus Christ. Though he was born Catholic, Jeff went to Bible school and served as a protestant minister for twelve years before reverting to the Catholic Faith. Jeff then received his MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Since then, he has become a leading Catholic evangelist and author.
Jeff created The Bible Timeline learning system, which revolutionized Catholic Bible Study for millions of Catholics. Since its introduction, Jeff has developed The Great Adventure series of Bible studies to help people better understand Sacred Scripture and its meaning for their lives.