Father Josh answers questions about fear of the Lord, explaining transubstantiation to children, and whether a grandparent should secretly baptize their unbaptized grandchild.
Glory Story (2:49)
Baptizing a Grandchild (11:15)
Hi Fr. Josh! Thank you so much for your priesthood and your ministry via this podcast. It has been so encouraging to me and many friends too! Here’s my question—my oldest daughter is married to a very nice Jewish man and now has a one year old baby boy. For a while she was attending a nondenominational church but now is not going to church at all, and they have not baptized the baby. I asked her once if she would consider baptism, and she said she would think about it. That was months ago, and she hasn’t brought it up again. Do you have any suggestions for how I can encourage her to come back to church and baptize the baby? My husband and I are heartbroken about this. A friend said I should take some holy water and baptize the baby myself the next time I go and see them. Should I consider doing this? I would appreciate any words of wisdom you might have.
Fear of the Lord (19:35)
Hi Fr. Josh!
I’ve always wondered about verses in the Bible which discuss fearing the Lord. For example, the Bible references that we’re “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14) or that the “fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 111:10). To me, the word “fear” doesn’t seem like a word we should use when describing who God is or how we should feel towards Him. Can you help a girl out?
You’re DA BOMB!
Explaining the Eucharist to a Child (23:43)
My son is 6 years old and wants to be a priest when he grows up. He absolutely loves all things regarding the Church and especially our priests. Today at Mass he asked me about consuming Jesus. He sort of understands that the bread and wine turns into the Body and Blood of Jesus but how do I explain to him that this miracle is not “disgusting” but a beautiful opportunity he will be able to receive next year? I believe it is the Body, Blood, soul and Divinity of Christ but how do I explain to a 6 year old (or a 14, 9, and 4 year old) that this is not cannibalism but a miracle? I hope this question makes sense.
Thank you Fr. Josh, I have learned so much from your podcast about our beautiful faith. I am always praying for you and welcome your prayers for myself and my wonderful children I have been blessed with.
- Preorder Pocket Guide to Adoration by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Email your questions and feedback to Fr. Josh at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text “askfrjosh” to 33-777 to subscribe for the chance to win a free copy of Fr. Josh’s new book!
- Broken and Blessed by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Song: “Nothing Else” by Cody Carnes
- Belonging: Baptism in the Family of God by Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Unabridged Christianity: Biblical Answers to Common Questions About the Roman Catholic Faith
- Code of Canon Law on Baptism
- 1 Peter 3:21 – Salvation of those baptized
- General Audience of Pope Francis on Fear of the Lord
- Holy Bible – The Great Adventure Catholic Bible