Looking to set spiritual goals for the new year? Wondering how to stick with them? Bobby offers us 5 spiritual goals that we can use as New Year’s resolutions in order to increase our intimacy with God and grow in virtue:
- Read the Bible. St. Jerome said that “ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.” If reading the entire Bible seems intimidating right now, try using an introductory guide like Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible to break into it. Or, consider just reading the Gospels, or the Psalms in one year. You’ll find yourself hungry for more.
- Go to daily mass – even one more day a week than just Sunday. It’s not always convenient, but that’s part of the sacrifice. It’s worth it!
- Embrace silence. If you haven’t made time for silence before, try just 1% of your day (15 minutes).
- Fast in prayer. Prayer without fasting is like boxing with one arm tied behind your back. It’s not just for Lent. Start with once a week, and then try to step it up to twice a week. You can fast from food, or you can try fasting from other pleasures such as music in the car or an app on your phone.
- Find community. The accountability and support you can find in community is really what makes all of these other spiritual goals possible. Tell a trusted friend about your spiritual goals for the new year, and listen to his or her goals for the new year. You’re much more likely to follow through if you’ve externalized your resolutions.
Bobby reminds us that while we’re usually good at starting things, we’re not always good at finishing them. If you’re like Bobby, you’ve found that perfectionism can be the enemy of progress. Be encouraged that, if you just get right back on the horse, God will give you the strength to persevere! Happy New Year!
Meet Jackie and Bobby Angel
Jackie Francois Angel is a full-time worship leader and speaker. Bobby Angel is a campus minister and theology teacher at a Catholic high school. Married in 2013, they have three beautiful children and strive to grow in holiness each day!
You can now offer ongoing support for this content with a recurring gift.