When you don’t feel like praying, try doing these things suggested by Jackie and Bobby:
- Establish a reward system. Don’t do the things you want to do until you pray.
- Pray with another person. This will help keep you accountable. Maybe join a Bible study with a friend or two.
- If you don’t want to pray, turn that into a prayer, “God, I really don’t want to pray right now.” At least it’s a start. And that kind of honesty can actually turn into a very truthful prayer that draws you closer to our loving Father.
Prayer is about love, and love requires sacrifice. Prayer is a relationship. What kind of relationship is sustained by just one hour a week of visiting? In healthy relationships, there is an ongoing conversation between the two people. That’s what prayer is. Keep the conversation with God going.
Bobby compares a healthy prayer life to a diligent exercising schedule. He doesn’t always want to work out, but if he worked out only when he wanted to he wouldn’t see results. Prayer is the same way. Pray often, get into a routine of prayer, and you will see results in every area of your life. Eventually, it becomes a part of your day you look forward to.
More resources on prayer:
- Oremus: A Guide to Catholic Prayer
- Pocket Guide to the Rosary
- Praying Scripture for a Change: A Guide to Lection Divina
- How to Pray Like Mary
- Pray, Decide, and Don’t Worry
- Free Media on Prayer from Ascension
Meet Jackie and Bobby Angel
Jackie Francois Angel is a full-time worship leader and speaker. Bobby Angel is a campus minister and theology teacher at a Catholic high school. Married in 2013, they have three beautiful children and strive to grow in holiness each day!
would you consider supporting our work? Support Ascension