Dave VanVickle (that’s right, no nickname today) and I are waking the dead! We’re talking about how to really reach people through evangelization. Not just a short moment of emotional connection that fades the next day, but a true conversion where a heart of stone is transformed. Click on the player above to listen.
Snippet from the Show
“Taking someone’s heart of stone to a heart of flesh is a supernatural act. You are making them alive in Christ Jesus. That is a bigger miracle than resurrecting a deceased corpse to natural life.”
We want to hear from you! Email us at email@example.com with your story, question, or comment—or if you’ve got a new nickname for Dave.
How to reach a Heart of Stone
- Changing a heart of stone to a heart of flesh is a supernatural act.
- It’s ok to have the extra stuff, but many parishes end up with either “flash” or prayer and it’s more important to focus on the prayer life.
- Emotional witness can lead to a reaction, but not necessarily real conversion.
- The leader is the lid for how high a group will grow in conversion.
- Faking it will not work.
5 Practical Tips
- Say this prayer before evangelizing to anyone: “Lord, I do not know these people, but you know these people and I know you and I love you. Lord, you love me and you love these people, so I need you Lord Jesus to give me your love for them that I may say what you want them to hear. Then I pray for their conversion Lord, I need you to let me share in your love for them, because I don’t know them, and I might leave and never see them again. Help me to do and say all that you want me to do and say out of love for you.”
- Read Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen as a daily devotional.
- Involve the Blessed Virgin Mary in your ministry by praying the Memorare regularly.
- Wear a plain wooden cross to remind yourself daily that you must carry your own cross.
- Say the name of Jesus out loud in a reverent way and get those around you to do the same.
Resources from the Show
- Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen
- EKSB@ascensionpress.com – Get Dave and Mike to give a talk at your parish!
Meet Your Hosts
Michael “Gomer” Gormley
Michael has been leading evangelization and ministry efforts for the past ten years, both as a full-time parish staff member and as a speaker and consultant for parishes, dioceses, and Catholic campus ministries.
He is also the founder and creative director of LayEvangelist.com, and the producer and cohost of a Catholic young adult podcast Catching Foxes, which discusses the collision of Faith and Culture.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Shannon. Together they have about 1,000 children and get about 3 hours of sleep a night, which is alright by him.
David “Dave” VanVickle
Dave VanVickle fell in love with the Lord at the age of fourteen. Since then, he has dedicated his life to bringing others into a radical relationship with Christ.
He is a speaker and retreat leader. His programs focuses on proclaiming the universal call to holiness, authentic Catholic spirituality, spiritual warfare and deliverance. Additionally, Dave has over ten years of experience assisting Priests with their ministries of exorcism and deliverance.
Dave resides in Pittsburgh with his wife Amber and their five children: Sam, Max, Judah, Josie and Louisa.