Should you homeschool, or send your kids to public school, private school, online school, charter school, or some combination of these things? Schooling choices hard decisions we have to make as parents, and at the end of this school year is an opportune time to think about how you will educate your children in the coming year.
Listener Carol recently asked if I would share the reasons why we chose to homeschool our kids, and I share those thoughts at the beginning of this episode.
Snippet from the Show
“Whether you’re deciding to homeschool or send your child to school, we have a lot of emotion attached to these decisions because they matter. Because we love our kids so much and we want what’s best for them.”
Regardless of what schooling choices you are making for your kids, here are some helpful things to keep in mind.
1) Pray about it.
You absolutely need to ask for God’s grace when it comes to making important parenting decisions. Also, consider praying to Mary for guidance as well.
2) Get on the same page as your spouse.
This is too big a decision to go alone. Make sure you and your spouse can come to an agreement, at least for the coming year.
3) Talk with your kids about it.
Different kids have different needs, wants, preferences, and learning styles. Talk with your kids about what works and what doesn;t work for them when it comes to their education. You get to call the shots, but you need their input!
4) Be honest about the investment.
Every educational choice has its own pros and cons. Don’t give in to some fantasy about the “perfect” alternate choice for educating your kids. Talk to others and be honest with yourself about what each choice will cost you and other members of your family.
5) Know you can “un-do” your decision if it turns out to be a bad one.
Have confidence in whatever you choose, knowing there is “no one right way” to educate your children and also knowing you can change your mind if needed.
You Are Enough: What Women of the Bible Teach You About Your Mission and Worth, is available! Use the code, GIRLFRIENDS to receive ten percent off your order.
- July 30-August 2: Catholic Marketing Network in Lancaster, PA
- Saturday, November 16, 2019:You Are Enough Retreat at Holy Family Catholic Church in Orlando, FL
- Saturday, January 11, 2020: You’re Worth It Retreat, St. Michael Church, Exeter, NH
- Saturday, March 7, 2020:You’re Worth It Retreat at Precious Blood Parish in Jasper, IN
- Saturday, March 28, 2020: Women’s Conference in Norwich, CT
Want me come to your community to speak or give my retreat, You Are Enough, based on the themes in my newest book? Get all the information here!