How do you give “the talk” to your kids? Parents have a massive responsibility to inform and educate their children on matters of sexuality, dignity, and so much more. Fr. Josh is joined by Sr. Josephine Garrett to discuss the importance of talking to your child about these matters, but also how to do it right.
Snippet from the Show
If we know the world is pursuing our children to form them in lies about the gift of the body and sexuality, we need to step in front of the lie.
Glory Story (4:00)
Listener Question (9:02)
How do you give “the talk” to your children?
Saint Story: St. John Paul II (22:47)
You might be familiar with Pope St. John Paul II’s famous work, Theology of the Body, but do you know where it comes from? The book comprises 129 lectures on what it means to be human, all of which John Paul II gave during his Wednesday audiences between 1979 and 1984. He began preparing these lectures, what he referred to as “An appropriate Christian anthropology,” when he was the Archbishop in Krakow. When he was elected Pope, he broke them up into lectures and presented them over the course of five years.
Resources for Parents
- Age Appropriate Path to Helping Kids Understand the Gift of Their Bodies and Sexuality
- What’s Going on Down There?: A Boy’s Guide to Growing Up
- First Period Course
- Submit your questions and feedback to Fr. Josh by filling out a form at www.ascensionpress.com/askfatherjosh
- Broken and Blessed by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Adoration by Fr. Josh Johnson
- Pocket Guide to Reconciliation by Fr. Josh Johnson & Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Ascension is pleased to offer our new and improved online bible study programs and sacramental preparation programs digitally to help you minister with flexibility. Go to ascensionpress.com to view all our offerings.
Meet Fr. Josh Johnson
While Fr. Josh was raised Catholic, he didn’t like the Church growing up. Then, one day in adoration, he fell in love with Jesus and received the call to become a priest.
Now, Fr. Josh is the Vocations Director of the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. He is a presenter in four of Ascension’s programs: Altaration, YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body, The 99, and Connected: Catholic Social Teaching for This Generation, as well as the author of Broken and Blessed: An Invitation to My Generation, Pocket Guide to Adoration, and co-author of Pocket Guide to Reconciliation.